amanda5

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi... i just need some advice..... should i just quit and go on b/c i don't think i have the grades to apply for dental school, can a master's program help me?

Gen chem I- C+
Gen chem II- C+
Organic I - A
Organic II- B-
Bio I- C-
Bio II B-
Physics- B-
Physics- A
Biochem- B-
I also took the kaplan DAT practice test without studying and got

Bio-15
Organic- 16
gen chem- 15
PAT-17
QR-17

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Hi... i just need some advice..... should i just quit and go on b/c i don't think i have the grades to apply for dental school, can a master's program help me?

Gen chem I- C+
Gen chem II- C+
Organic I - A
Organic II- B-
Bio I- C-
Bio II B-
Physics- B-
Physics- A
Biochem- B-

Bio-15
Organic- 16
gen chem- 15
PAT-17
QR-17
That was very foolish of you to take the DAT without studying. :thumbdown:
You did pretty well for somebody who went in cold unfortunately that won't be a good excuse.

What is your GPA?

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
whats your science gpa? and cum gpa?
if you kill the DAT then your in dental school, practice DATs mean nothing because you have not studied.
any ECs?

good luck

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
That was very foolish of you to take the DAT without studying. :thumbdown:
You did pretty well for somebody who went in cold unfortunately that won't be a good excuse.

What is your GPA?
He said practice kaplan DAT, not the real DAT.

OP
A

amanda5

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
whats your science gpa? and cum gpa?
if you kill the DAT then your in dental school, practice DATs mean nothing because you have not studied.
any ECs?

good luck
sGPA= 2.7 and overall = 3.0

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
i am currently a junior and i have been a dental assistant for 5 years.
Good. Make sure you ace all your senior courses. It can still bump your GPA in a significant manner. The way it stands now your GPA is low and you may have to resort to a masters. Dental assistant experience will cover your extracurricular activities very well. You will have a tremendous advantage clinically over somebody who has never had working experience in dentistry at a dental school.

I think it all depends on where your GPA stands at the end of your senior year. I'd hold off applying for another year. If you have a year gap you can dedicate it to continue working as a dental assistant and taking additional courses as a nondegree or special student if the school allows you to stay an extra year. Boost that weak science GPA. Dedicate it to science courses.

gijohn529

USC Dental 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Get a solid DAT score of 20 or better and ace the rest of your senior classes. You can even pad your GPA by taking easy online classes at your school or community colleges.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Get a solid DAT score of 20 or better and ace the rest of your senior classes. You can even pad your GPA by taking easy online classes at your school or community colleges.
Don't you think schools will sniff out attempts at boosting GPA like this?

Dan3223

Temple bound :)
10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2006
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student

Bio-15
Organic- 16
gen chem- 15
PAT-17
QR-17
Dont put too much weight on the Kaplan practice tests...

My theory about the kaplan practice tests is that they intentionally make them harder than the actual DAT for several reasons:

-Making the practice tests harder will make the real DAT seem easier when you take it.
-Getting low scores on a practice will scare you and make you want to take a prep course.
-They have a 'higher score guarantee' .... which means they will let you take the course again if you score lower on the real DAT than their practice tests.... so of course they want you to score lower on their tests.

I never did very well on the Kaplan practice tests... especially the first one I took before I started to study.
I did much better on the actual DAT.

Having said that, DO NOT think the real DAT will be easy... it is not. Study your bum off. Havning a little fear is ok because it pushes you to study harder.

TempleDMDKrazd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status
Dental Student
1) hold off applying for a year
2) raise your sGPA close to 3.0 while at the same time the cum GPA above 3.0
3) study for the DAT and get 20+

then you should be set to go...

rjs38

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Def study really hard for the DAT, but I think you should consider retaking that course you got a C- in, I received a C- and retook to get an A I did a gpa calculator online both with the A averaged in and without it just to see if it was worth retaking and it was quite a difference.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status
Dentist
Dont put too much weight on the Kaplan practice tests...

My theory about the kaplan practice tests is that they intentionally make them harder than the actual DAT for several reasons:

-Making the practice tests harder will make the real DAT seem easier when you take it.
-Getting low scores on a practice will scare you and make you want to take a prep course.
-They have a 'higher score guarantee' .... which means they will let you take the course again if you score lower on the real DAT than their practice tests.... so of course they want you to score lower on their tests.

I never did very well on the Kaplan practice tests... especially the first one I took before I started to study.
I did much better on the actual DAT.

Having said that, DO NOT think the real DAT will be easy... it is not. Study your bum off. Havning a little fear is ok because it pushes you to study harder.
I had the opposite experience. I thought Kaplan was pretty easy compared to the real DAT. Topscore on the other hand...Whoa! THAT was good preparation. I scored about 2 points higher on Kaplan practice than on the actual DAT 21s compared to 19s.

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
I agree with this. You won't be able to apply until after you graduate, but you could avoid a masters if you can do this.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
I agree with lucky79,
you may not get in through the front entrance but through the side entrance.