Should I apply this cycle or wait for another year? Need advices here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

survive5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

Some background info here:
I applied broadly (30+) last year as an international student, had 3 IIs (3 different tiers), 2 waitlists, and 0 offers. I did my undergrad in a different country, but I have a MS and PhD in the US. 36 MCAT, 3.9 grad GPA, no undergrad GPA, 200 hrs volunteering, 100 hrs shadowing, solid publications.

Though very upsetting, I still feel like medicine is something I want to pursue. I am debating whether I should apply this cycle to give it another try, or wait for next year (I will probably have permanent residency by then, and hope that will improve my chances).

I have a few questions:
1, any disadvantages as a re-applicant? If I apply this cycle and not get in, it would be my 3rd round next year. Is it going to hurt my application next year? If so, I would rather wait, coz I will be more ready next year (have permanent residency, will retake some of the pre-med courses in the meantime...). Otherwise, I would go ahead and apply right now. I want to start medical school as soon as possible.

2, I took my MCAT last year (04/2013), I think it should still be good for the next application cycle, but with the new MCAT starting next year, I am a little bit concerned. Do I need to retake the MCAT?

3, I plan to retake the pre-med courses. coz AMCAS doesn't verify undergrad courses taken in a different country. Is it worth to enroll in a post-bac program? Can I just take some courses in a non-degree program?

4, any general advices as what to do during the gap years to improve my case? more on research? clinical experience? etc

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know somebody who was in your position (very successful PhD). He retook all his pre-med courses as he too got a Bachelors degree from a foreign country. You will be much better off applying as a permanent resident. Take classes as a post bac.

Some background info here:
I applied broadly (30+) last year as an international student, had 3 IIs (3 different tiers), 2 waitlists, and 0 offers. I did my undergrad in a different country, but I have a MS and PhD in the US. 36 MCAT, 3.9 grad GPA, no undergrad GPA, 200 hrs volunteering, 100 hrs shadowing, solid publications.

Though very upsetting, I still feel like medicine is something I want to pursue. I am debating whether I should apply this cycle to give it another try, or wait for next year (I will probably have permanent residency by then, and hope that will improve my chances).

I have a few questions:
1, any disadvantages as a re-applicant? If I apply this cycle and not get in, it would be my 3rd round next year. Is it going to hurt my application next year? If so, I would rather wait, coz I will be more ready next year (have permanent residency, will retake some of the pre-med courses in the meantime...). Otherwise, I would go ahead and apply right now. I want to start medical school as soon as possible.

2, I took my MCAT last year (04/2013), I think it should still be good for the next application cycle, but with the new MCAT starting next year, I am a little bit concerned. Do I need to retake the MCAT?

3, I plan to retake the pre-med courses. coz AMCAS doesn't verify undergrad courses taken in a different country. Is it worth to enroll in a post-bac program? Can I just take some courses in a non-degree program?

4, any general advices as what to do during the gap years to improve my case? more on research? clinical experience? etc

Thank you all!
1) Some schools discourage reapplicants. Some limit one to no more than XX tries at their school. Most won't discriminate if you continue to make relevant improvements in your application.

2) No one can know for sure if schools will change their MCAT requirement, but most don't expire them for 2-3 years. There's a thread in progress to collect data on each school's policy about the new MCAT, so you might want to look for it and even help accumulate data for it.

3) I think you'd be fine informally (re)taking the prerequisites at a local university. You might look into seeing if they'd accept some of your undergrad coursework as transfer credit, especially as you've probably already had a foreign transcript evaluation done and available.

4) Since permanent residency status is so close, wait for it, to dramatically improve your chances and increase the number of med schools willing to consider you.

It's hard to evaluate your ECs with so little detail. You didn't mention nonmedical community service or leadership specifically, which you might want to work on if you haven't any. You should also keep some connection to medicine present in your ongoing ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah it might help if you want to retook your premed courses. But since you have a MS and PhD in the US, try talking to admission deans and see the pre-med courses were the reason why you didn't get in.
But anyways, you got 3 IIs, so you probably want to consider enhancing your interview skills as well.