Should I apply this summer or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redwings54

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok heres the deal. I graduated in May 2004 from a top liberal arts school, but only had a 3.05 GPA with a 2.8 science. My MCAT was 25, but thats after taking it twice. I was a chem major and philosophy minor. I won a fellowship to study holistic medicine in Russia, Scotland and England which I did for a little over three months. The research was on psychoneuroimmunology dealing with shamanism and hope in patients. I have done a little shadowing and will have lots more shadowing and clinical volunteering experience by this summer. I also lead a volunteer project for three years teaching kids to read. I have two years of research experience with a publication out of it. I am also going to be taking a few classes this summer at our CC to boost the GPA. I want to be a doctor more than anything. I feel it deep inside me but feel that because of my grades and scores that it is so far away. Could I apply this summer or should I wait, retake the MCAT and take a few more classes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 🙂
 
If you've already taken the MCAT twice, I'm not sure why your score would go up more a third time. As for taking more classes, if you graduated from a "top liberal arts college," (I'm thinking Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst) I don't think it looks particularly good if you've been taking classes at a community college. While your grades and MCAT score aren't exactly in the ideal range, you could very well get into a school. I suggest applying to a lot of school and applying early. Then if you don't get in, you can apply again.
 
I think your numbers are a bit low but stranger things have happened. Apply to a good number of schools without breaking the bank and maybe think about a post-bacc program to raise you GPA. I agree that the CC classes after you already have a bacc looks kind of bad.
 
You should apply and apply to a lot of schools. If you wait another year, what will you be doing ? Plus... it is good to get back into school while you havent left it for a long time. If you got 1000-1500 dollars to spare, just apply to all the schools. =) All you need is to get into one and your dreams would come true.