Should I apply this summer or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok heres the deal. I graduated in May 2004 from a top liberal arts school, but only had a 3.05 GPA with a 2.8 science. My MCAT was 25, but thats after taking it twice. I was a chem major and philosophy minor. I won a fellowship to study holistic medicine in Russia, Scotland and England which I did for a little over three months. The research was on psychoneuroimmunology dealing with shamanism and hope in patients. I have done a little shadowing and will have lots more shadowing and clinical volunteering experience by this summer. I also lead a volunteer project for three years teaching kids to read. I have two years of research experience with a publication out of it. I am also going to be taking a few classes this summer at our CC to boost the GPA. I want to be a doctor more than anything. I feel it deep inside me but feel that because of my grades and scores that it is so far away. Could I apply this summer or should I wait, retake the MCAT and take a few more classes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you've already taken the MCAT twice, I'm not sure why your score would go up more a third time. As for taking more classes, if you graduated from a "top liberal arts college," (I'm thinking Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst) I don't think it looks particularly good if you've been taking classes at a community college. While your grades and MCAT score aren't exactly in the ideal range, you could very well get into a school. I suggest applying to a lot of school and applying early. Then if you don't get in, you can apply again.

I think your numbers are a bit low but stranger things have happened. Apply to a good number of schools without breaking the bank and maybe think about a post-bacc program to raise you GPA. I agree that the CC classes after you already have a bacc looks kind of bad.

You should apply and apply to a lot of schools. If you wait another year, what will you be doing ? Plus... it is good to get back into school while you havent left it for a long time. If you got 1000-1500 dollars to spare, just apply to all the schools. =) All you need is to get into one and your dreams would come true.