Should I apply this year or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rary

Reaction score
I wonder if I have a chance to get accepted at all this year with my poor EC :
sGPA: 3.94 cGPA: 3.85
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (130/130/130/131)
State of residence : CA
School: University of California, San Diego
Major: Neuroscience
Ethnicity and/or race: Mixed (white and Asian), female
Non-clinical volunteer: 300 hours
Research: 2 quarters
Shadowing: 80 hours (1 doctor)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

experience
No, I had more than 300 hours to bring food/flowers to patients and wheeled the discharged patients out but before college. I hope to get some hours in during next 3 months . I was offered TA position in Biology class next quarter also .

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait to apply. You have amazing stats, but applying without clinical experience is not a good idea. Try to get >200 hours by next May and you'll be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
I would wait to apply. You have amazing stats, but applying without clinical experience is not a good idea. Try to get >200 hours by next May and you'll be golden.
Thank you. I kind of suspect that answer

Yeah without recent clinical experience you'd be doing your application a disservice. Better to go in with all cards in the hand. If you do end up applying this year, definitely accumulate as much clinical experience as you can prior, and do include your pre-college activity - it'll at least give insight into your motivations for medicine.

If you decide to do a gap year, also try to see if you can get a research position. With more clinical experience and solid research background, you'd be a good fit for top schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah without recent clinical experience you'd be doing your application a disservice. Better to go in with all cards in the hand. If you do end up applying this year, definitely accumulate as much clinical experience as you can prior, and do include your pre-college activity - it'll at least give insight into your motivations for medicine.

If you decide to do a gap year, also try to see if you can get a research position. With more clinical experience and solid research background, you'd be a good fit for top schools.
Another question. If I do apply this cycle and don't get in. Does it hurt my chance next year (reapply) even though I improve my ECs next year?
Thanks.

Another question. If I do apply this cycle and don't get in. Does it hurt my chance next year (reapply) even though I improve my ECs next year?
Thanks.

Prob a little bit for the same schools yeah.

Prob a little bit for the same schools yeah.
I wonder in the case if I could add some more hours of Clinical volunteering before July., should I apply to a limited number of schools , the one that don't put too much weight on Cs but prefer high MCAT (Washington University USF, Hofstra). If I can't get A, then reapply next year with more school choices?