Should I Apply to Caribbean?

• Thread starter dogdayafternoon
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dogdayafternoon

Hey all,

I just found this forum on the SDN. I am usually at the other ones.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get accepted into SGU, AUC, or Ross if I applied this week for the Fall 2006 acceptance. It's a late application that is what I am worried about.

My stats are 29Q MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I am currently applying through AMCAS and I am waitlisted at 2 schools and I want to go this fall to medical school and not be left behind one year. It is my first time applying.

Members don't see this ad.

heck no,with ur stats u should get into a US medical school. if u dont get in then reapply again.

Yeah, for some reason my family and friends would think its a sense of shame if I waited a year to reapply. It would cause embarrassment if I do end up being rejected. My application this year to US allopathic schools was submitted late so that is why I only have waitlists. I also only applied to 8 schools.

Anyway, I don't know if I want the year off. I've got tons of research, EMT, volunteering in hospitals, community service, and 4 letters of recs. Do you guys think I can get into Ross this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
dogdayafternoon said:
Yeah, for some reason my family and friends would think its a sense of shame if I waited a year to reapply. It would cause embarrassment if I do end up being rejected. My application this year to US allopathic schools was submitted late so that is why I only have waitlists. I also only applied to 8 schools.

Anyway, I don't know if I want the year off. I've got tons of research, EMT, volunteering in hospitals, community service, and 4 letters of recs. Do you guys think I can get into Ross this late?

Do some research...you may find that the hassle of Ross in the end doesn't save you that much time...

Don't be a ******. ;) Take a year off, do some research or even some volunteer medical work overseas. And reapply in the US.

Well since I have filled out my applications today, I might as well send them out. I want to be an OB/GYN and that isn't that competitive at all. Is it really that bad to go to Ross?

You busted your butt to get these scores. You interviewed and were waitlisted at some excellent schools. Don't give in now when you are just about to get into med school in the U.S. Most Ross students would give one of their paired organs to be able to graduate from a U.S. school. I think Ross and SGU are fine as a backup plan but someone in your position shouldn't be thinking that way.

:)

Thank you for the compliment skypilot.

It is very appreciated. I've been reading about Caribbean schools and do find that the stigma againsts them is something graduates feel for the rest of their careers but you know what, I don't care it.

It takes 4 years medical school and 6 years residency to become a OB/GYN. If I don't get accepted at the waitlisted schools, I'd gladly go to Ross to save a year of my life. I don't see what's wrong with that. An M.D. is an M.D.

Do I lose time if I go to Ross? THat's the only way I'd reapply to U.S. medical schools should I be rejected from my two waitlisted schools.

MD is MD but believe me when you are going to be practicing as a doctor for 35 years, I dont think 1 year is going to be as big of a deal. Going to a US school leaves a lot of doors open compared to a foreign school. Dont worry about your family, are u doing it for you or your family? In summary, your life is a lot easier to go to a US school especially with your stats.

dogdayafternoon said:
Well since I have filled out my applications today, I might as well send them out. I want to be an OB/GYN and that isn't that competitive at all. Is it really that bad to go to Ross?
I agree you a strong candidate for a US allopathic med school.If you do your applications again the right way and apply to a good number of schools you have a great shot of getting in.Forget the nonsense about "embarrassment" of being rejected.You applied late and to very few schools.. no shame in that.There will be much more "embarrassment" telling people you went to an offshore med school for years.As far as OGYN,your ability to obtain the program of your choice will be greatly enhanced by getting a US degree.It very often happens that the specialty people plan on, upon entering med school is not the one they end applying for anyway.OBGYN is one of the first specialties to go out the window when med students rotate through it and see whats involved. Dont limit your future specialtyopportunities.I think Ross is a good choice for some applicants who need this option.It will still be there a year from now in the unlikely event you need it.

dogdayafternoon said:
Hey all,

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get accepted into SGU, AUC, or Ross if I applied this week for the Fall 2006 acceptance. It's a late application that is what I am worried about.

My stats are 29Q MCAT and 3.7 GPA. I am currently applying through AMCAS and I am waitlisted at 2 schools and I want to go this fall to medical school and not be left behind one year. It is my first time applying.

You need to forget about what your parents and family might think of you, sit back, and think logically about this for a minute. Going to school in the Caribbean is a LAST RESORT for people who could not get into US schools the first time. You would be insane not to reapply and reapply really really early (like June/July early), turning over secondaries quickly and efficiently. Choosing Caribbean when you could be attending a perfectly good US allopathic school is a sign that you are not fit to make the decisions of a good doctor. So make the right choice, and frickin' reapply. If you don't, I will find you and hunt you down and beat you up until you do what I tell you to.

dogdayafternoon said:
Hey all,

You have an excellent shot at a US school. OBG is getting more competitive and in a few years may be out of reach for many offshore grads. Just keep that in mind that you may not be able to get OBG going offshore whereas onshore it is almost a sure deal.

Family pressure is rough, but in the end you will have to live with your decisions and it may be time to start thinking about yourself a little more.

dogdayafternoon said:
Thank you for the compliment skypilot.

It is very appreciated. I've been reading about Caribbean schools and do find that the stigma againsts them is something graduates feel for the rest of their careers but you know what, I don't care it.

It takes 4 years medical school and 6 years residency to become a OB/GYN. If I don't get accepted at the waitlisted schools, I'd gladly go to Ross to save a year of my life. I don't see what's wrong with that. An M.D. is an M.D.

Do I lose time if I go to Ross? THat's the only way I'd reapply to U.S. medical schools should I be rejected from my two waitlisted schools.

The 16 months you spend in Dominica might be considered lost time. Also the time you spend in 3rd and 4th year rotating through less than desirable hospitals far from your family and friends might be considered lost time.

And I don't think OB/Gyn is a 6 year residency. Also once you finish your internship in 5 years you will be working and getting paid as an ObGyn. (Probably about 50k by the time you graduate)

skypilot said:
The 16 months you spend in Dominica might be considered lost time. Also the time you spend in 3rd and 4th year rotating through less than desirable hospitals far from your family and friends might be considered lost time.

And I don't think OB/Gyn is a 6 year residency. Also once you finish your internship in 5 years you will be working and getting paid as an ObGyn. (Probably about 50k by the time you graduate)

OBG is 4 years.

You guys are very supportive of me and your compliments are really, really nice. I find it heartbreaking that you guys are bagging on Caribbean schools since it appears that many of you attended them.

Anyway, I sent out apps to SGU, Ross and AUC. I read somewhere that these three were the best schools. If you guys know of any others that are good, please let me know. I am still waitlisted at two U.S. schools (both have >60% acceptance after interview) but since they haven't accepted me since my interviews 4 months ago, I am betting I am not high on their lists.

I have one question that I want to ask and I would eternally appreciate if I get an in-depth answer. The programs at the big 3 schools I mentioned are 4 calender years like U.S. medical schools. Does that mean I can enter U.S. residency right after those 4 years? Because that's the sole reason I am applying there - to save a year of my life from re-applying to U.S. schools if I get rejected. And how many more tests do I have to take?

P.S. I'm really interested in hearing your stories. It seems to me that doctors who go to the Caribbean are more altruistic in nature than those in U.S. allopathic schools. Those students are basically in it for the $$$$, power, and women.

dogdayafternoon said:
You guys are very supportive of me and your compliments are really, really nice. I find it heartbreaking that you guys are bagging on Caribbean schools since it appears that many of you attended them.

Anyway, I sent out apps to SGU, Ross and AUC. I read somewhere that these three were the best schools. If you guys know of any others that are good, please let me know. I am still waitlisted at two U.S. schools (both have >60% acceptance after interview) but since they haven't accepted me since my interviews 4 months ago, I am betting I am not high on their lists.

I have one question that I want to ask and I would eternally appreciate if I get an in-depth answer. The programs at the big 3 schools I mentioned are 4 calender years like U.S. medical schools. Does that mean I can enter U.S. residency right after those 4 years? Because that's the sole reason I am applying there - to save a year of my life from re-applying to U.S. schools if I get rejected. And how many more tests do I have to take?

P.S. I'm really interested in hearing your stories. It seems to me that doctors who go to the Caribbean are more altruistic in nature than those in U.S. allopathic schools. Those students are basically in it for the $$$$, power, and women.

Since residency only starts in July every year it is quite possible that the time you "save" at Ross won't really materialize. That is what we are talking about. It's hard to explain. My husband had a high MCAT score and we were thinking like you of saving time. In the end after taking a semester off to have a baby and then waiting around to get our desired third and fourth year rotation placement we haven't saved any time at all. We do appreciate the chance and are making the very best of it. I just don't think you should go into a Carib. school placing so much of your decision on saving time. My husband didn't fail any semesters or anything but life doesn't always work out smoothly.

That's all...have your decision be based on more than just saving time. If it actually ended up taking longer because you missed the match would you still be happy with Carib. choice?? That's what you need to find out.

dogdayafternoon said:

No one is really bagging on the Carribean. They are just presenting the situation realistically.

You submitted a late application last year. This year show some maturity and planning and submit your application early. If you would like, also apply to SGU and Ross. If you don't get in to a U.S. school than go ahead and attend, no one would fault you for that.

I agree with the statement about saving time. In the long run a year will probably not be a big deal. However, I was very similar (28Q and a 3.7) with a MA in medical science and a couple of application cycles and didnt get into a US school. I bit the bullet and went to a caribbean schools while applying during my first year to US schools (basically reapplied through AMCAS). I am not sure if my going to a foreign school affected my application, but I was on a lot of pre-interview holds with 2 interviews and ended up with zero acceptances as of this far, and I dont think that will change. For me, my decision to get started worked out because I would be hating life right now working as a volunteer to boost my application while still not going anywhere. Now I will be a second year med student in a couple of months and starting rotations in over a year.
For me it was a good decision, and you can PM me if you want some more advice. Most importantly, I would talk to every Dean of every school you applied if you decide to reapply, and find out what you need to do to get in. Is it just applying earlier, or is the increasing difficulty for getting into US schools going to keep you out next year. If your family thinks you should get going, and you stay back this year and dont get accepted anywhere, that could be pretty bad as well. Last, there is no doubt that going to a foreign school will make it more difficult for residencies, but it can be overcome. Know all of the facts before you jump into anything, because I had a lot of delusional people in my first year class. I think everyone I talked to was definitely going to be an Orth. Surgeon, Gen surgeon, rads, optho and were obviously a little misled. Hope that helps. By the way, you do have great numbers and I know this is not an easy decision. Never hurts to burden your hand and put out applications, and give yourself options.

Dogday

I would definitely do your damndest to attend a US school. You said you applied late and that is why you probably haven't been accepted anywhere. You at least got interviews, which is a good sign. I went to AUC and yes it was a good experience for me. But, I had no shot at a US school within a reasonable timeline. As far as specialties, attend a US school, and you can basically do whatever specialty you like as long as your grades are there. At a caribbean school, your grades and scores can be there, but you may never have a shot at some specialties, such as Neurosurg, Ortho, Optho, Derm. Im not saying that caribbean students never get these, but its extremely rare. You said that you want to do OGBYN, but your specialty choice may change once you are in. Don't limit yourself from the get go. There are top students at all of the Top 3 caribbean schools, don't get me wrong. If I were you, I would at least apply thru one more cycle for the US schools and then if that doesn't work out, go to one of the Big 3. I don't see why it wouldn't work out unless you did absolutely nothing in the next year to improve your application. Take care and good luck.

It is amazing that this thread has gone as long as it has.

If you want to get your MD quickly because you are too weak to stand up to your family then you will suffer greatly at the bias poured on your feeble constitution from the time you start rotations until the day that you grow a backbone.

Do whatever you like, just don't regret it.