Medical Should I apply to MD/DO this cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just completed my Junior year, and I have a GPA of 2.8 and MCAT of 508. I worked as a pharmacy tech for 4 years, had some shadowing experience, had many leadership opportunities, and quite a bit of volunteering. I was planning on taking two summer courses that I know I can get an A in and hopefully raise my GPA to 3.0. I also plan on shadowing and volunteering a lot more this summer.

I feel very intimidated by everyone else having GPAs above 3.6 and MCAT scores above 516. I really don't want to take a gap semester because I only have 9 credits left to take. Are my current stats enough to gain at least one acceptance? And will my grades from the fall of 2019 be added to my GPA when admissions counsels review my transcript?
For MD schools the application service will not update your application with new grades earned after the day you submit your application. Nor will activities begun after submission have any impact on adcomm decisions, as you are not allowed to enter future activities.

For DO schools, an opportunity is given several times during the application season to update one's transcript with new grades. Further, the AACOMAS application season runs later, so if you wait to submit until after you beef up some of your activities over the summer, it would be in your best interests.

At first glance, your current stats will make getting any acceptance difficult. Do you have a recent upward grade trend that will reassure adcomms you won't flounder in the science-intense, rapid-paced environment of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.