Should I apply to MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently a senior pre-med who wants to eventually do the MD/PhD track but I was wondering whether I should apply to the programs now or wait until after M1/M2? The problem is that I only have one academic year of research (no summers as of yet) so far and it will result in a honors thesis and eventual first-author publication by the end of this summer. It is my own project and am lucky because I will contributing a lot to the field (I am creating a new animal model). This was my first reserach experience (in the biological sciences at least) and I recently realized how much I really enjoy working in the lab. I am taking a year off in which I will be working full-time (40+ hrs/wk) in the same lab to continue with this project. The reason I am hesistant in applying straight to MSTP programs is because I feel as though I do not have that much research experience especially since many other people have 3-4 years of extensive research in many different labs. Also, my PI, who is a MD/PhD, has a lot of connections at NIH so I was also thinking about the NIH IRTA fellowship, would this look better for the top MD/PhD programs than continuing in my lab? I want to go to a top medical school so please advise. Also, most medical schools do allow students to enter the MD/PhD program after M1/M2 correct?

Some background:
1) GPA: 3.7+, triple major in chemistry, neuroscience and political science
2) MCAT: unknown (May 2008)
3) A LOT of humanitarian and international work (started non-profit company, etc)
4) a lot of awards (phi beta kappa, etc etc)
5) eventually a publication during the application cycle but only one academic year experience in lab by the time application is submitted (will have 2 years, including 1 year full-time work

Thank you so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

if you know right now that you want to do MD/PhD then apply MD/PhD.

If schools don't think your research is adequate (unlikely) then you may receive an MD only acceptance and then you can think about transferring into the program after your first or second year

don't hesitate to enrolling in a 7-8 year graduate program if you known its what you want to do...get the ball rolling, the education takes long enough

plus senior year, full time for a year, a thesis and perhaps a publication is rather significant research experience

My opinion with regards to your lab question is you stay in the lab you are in now if you like it. It always takes some time to start getting good results.

I was in almost the exact situation as you are now and I opted for the NIH IRTA fellowship. I have been here at NIH for about 8 months now and there is no doubt in my mind that this is exactly what any MD/ Ph.D. program is going to be looking for in applicants....NIH is not just about the experience its about the networking you can do here.

If you can look deeper into the research fellowships at NIH, I would do that. Its an amazing opportunity and you can definatly find one lab that fits you best (there are 2,000 of them).

Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Here is the website to the IRTA page:
http://www.training.nih.gov/