Should I apply to more programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been asked many times with different responses but I'm really nervous and would like some input on it again.

So I applied to 106 IM programs and about 40 FM programs that are IMG friendly. My questions is that I have 38 more programs for FM that are IMG friendly but they "overlap" at the same program for IM. I want to apply to them as well but I'm worried that it'll get me no IV's at either IM or FM because they are at the same program.

I would only go to 1 IV if I got selected for both IM and FM at the same program. I don't have the courage to do both and risk being caught, especially as an IMG.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I’d like to apply to the remaining programs by tomorrow.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well applying wouldn't hurt simply to see what interviews come your way. You don't have to necessarily interview at the same institution twice.

This has been asked many times with different responses but I'm really nervous and would like some input on it again.

So I applied to 106 IM programs and about 40 FM programs that are IMG friendly. My questions is that I have 38 more programs for FM that are IMG friendly but they "overlap" at the same program for IM. I want to apply to them as well but I'm worried that it'll get me no IV's at either IM or FM because they are at the same program.

I would only go to 1 IV if I got selected for both IM and FM at the same program. I don't have the courage to do both and risk being caught, especially as an IMG.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I’d like to apply to the remaining programs by tomorrow.

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure how much incremental benefit you're going to get from applying to more programs at this point unless you're a really mediocre candidate (like multiple Step failures, no USCE, etc).

If I were you, I'd sit tight and see what happens with interviews first. If by mid-October you're not sitting on half a dozen interview offers, then yes, go ahead and drop another grand on more apps. The danger is not really in cross-applying but in cross-interviewing.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much incremental benefit you're going to get from applying to more programs at this point unless you're a really mediocre candidate (like multiple Step failures, no USCE, etc).

If I were you, I'd sit tight and see what happens with interviews first. If by mid-October you're not sitting on half a dozen interview offers, then yes, go ahead and drop another grand on more apps. The danger is not really in cross-applying but in cross-interviewing.

I'm a Canadian citizen and would need a visa. Either J1 or H1B (as I've passed step 3). That's probably the only thing that's worrying me right now since I know it's tough for IMG's to land IV's let alone one's that need a visa too.

Hence the reason I'm considering applying to the remaining FM programs.

I'm a Canadian citizen and would need a visa. Either J1 or H1B (as I've passed step 3). That's probably the only thing that's worrying me right now since I know it's tough for IMG's to land IV's let alone one's that need a visa too.

Hence the reason I'm considering applying to the remaining FM programs.

My advice remains unchanged. I haven't seen your list of programs (and for the love of Hippocrates, please don't post it) and I'm going to assume that you're not hiding something about your app, but if you don't score at least 10 interviews out of the nearly 150 programs you've already applied to, the chance that that extra 30-40 programs will add much is small. I say wait it out.

My advice remains unchanged. I haven't seen your list of programs (and for the love of Hippocrates, please don't post it) and I'm going to assume that you're not hiding something about your app, but if you don't score at least 10 interviews out of the nearly 150 programs you've already applied to, the chance that that extra 30-40 programs will add much is small. I say wait it out.

Thanks for the advice.