Should I apply, Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCTROJANS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I know I kind of asked this question after my DAT breakdown, but I am still unclear on where I stand and whether or not I should apply for the the upcoming cycle.

DAT Scores

Chemistry: 23
Organic Chemistry:21
Biology:17
RC-20
QR-19
PAT:19

AA-20
TS-19

BCP GPA - 3.15
Overall GPA - 3.42

***One key disadvantage to my application is that I will only have 4 semesters worth of classes on my application with 6 upper division science courses. I will receive my B.A prior to matriculation if I am lucky enough to get an acceptance at a school. I have lots of EC's and shadowing.

I will apply broadly (around 20) school, but am uncertain on how I fare as it is :(. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

ASDOH
BU
Case
Columbia
Detroit Mercy
Howard
Loma Linda
Louisville
Meharry
Michigan
Midwestern
NYU
Temple
Tufts
UCLA
UMDNJ
UNLV
UOP
USC
VCU
Western
WVU

This is my application list, I'm considering not applying to UCLA and UCSF despite being a CA resident. Thanks!

Prob take Columbia off the list.. they usually don't grant interviews to any1 without at least a 21 on the DAT... I've seen UMDNJ rejects tons of high scorers.. being a Cali resident.. the chance is even lower.. I would take those 2 off..

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools you should take off:
1) ASDOH- unless you have a ton of service and time spent helping undeserved areas.
2)Howard- Unless you are URM
3) Meharry- Unless you are URM
4) Columbia- as said above. They like high DAT's
5) WVU- Chances of accepting a CA student without amazing stats is very sim. I mean it's not like you really want to go there anyways

Haha, I meant to edit the list based upon what I've heard. Do you think I'll land a couple interview with these stats and the 4 semesters of classes issue?

BU
Case
Detroit Mercy
Loma Linda
Louisville
Michigan
Midwestern
NYU
Temple
Tufts
UNLV
UOP
USC
VCU
Western

New list :)

BU
Case
Detroit Mercy
Loma Linda
Louisville
Michigan
Midwestern
NYU
Temple
Tufts
UNLV
UOP
USC
VCU
Western

New list :)

That list looks about right. I would add Indiana for sure, possibly Kentucky as well (look on Predents, someone from CA with similar stats got into Kentucky). And UoP is a bit of a reach, but if it's your dream school, go for it.

Schools you should take off:
1) ASDOH- unless you have a ton of service and time spent helping undeserved areas.
4) Columbia- as said above. They like high DAT's
5) WVU- Chances of accepting a CA student without amazing stats is very sim. I mean it's not like you really want to go there anyways

What qualifies as URM? I know for sure hispanic/latino/african american/native american. What about mixed individuals?

I.E. Black/White or Hispanic/White or what about Korean/White?

I don't want to turn this discussion into a flamefest as URM discussions usually bring alot of anger etc, but are mixed ppl URM? JW as I am korean/white.

you should probably take UNLV off that list. that's a very "in-state" school, the few out-of-staters who got interviews had DAT's of 21+ and 3.6+ (unless you are from Utah, Wyoming, or other states without dental schools as part of the WICHE agreement).

Thanks for all the help guys! What do you guys think are my chances at getting interviews at the schools still on my list?

What qualifies as URM? I know for sure hispanic/latino/african american/native american. What about mixed individuals?

I.E. Black/White or Hispanic/White or what about Korean/White?

I don't want to turn this discussion into a flamefest as URM discussions usually bring alot of anger etc, but are mixed ppl URM? JW as I am korean/white.

URM is an under-represented minority, meaning hispanic/latino/african american/native american like you said, but if you are mixed with one of these races and you identify with that race, than you are a URM.

Korean/Black, Black/White, Hispanic/White all would be considered URM. If you are Asian, White, or Asian/White, you are not a URM.

That list looks about right. I would add Indiana for sure, possibly Kentucky as well (look on Predents, someone from CA with similar stats got into Kentucky). And UoP is a bit of a reach, but if it's your dream school, go for it.

haha are you talking about me?
My list this year:

Uop: put down my deposit
UCSF: still waiting on my decision after my interview
Kentucky: accepted/withdrew
Pitts: Invited for interview (declined)
NYU: Invited for interview (declined)
UCLA: Nothing yet
Withdrew from Midwestern, BU, Tufts, Creighton, & Western
Denied by ASDOH, UNLV, NOVA, &Marquette

Wow peerless! Those are some great results! Hopefully I do as well as you, however I saw that you did a post-bacc, what did you do and where did you do your post-bacc? Congrats btw =)

I don't know man. This cycle was wicked! I got know love from Cali except for Western and USC. I have no idea what UoP looks for in an applicant, but from what I can gather, it is an outstanding program. Your list looks good!