SHOULD I APPLY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

with a post-bac of 3.59 and mcat score of 11,10,6, should i even apply?

getting depressed after reading ppl with outstanding mcat and gpa.

frown.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Your verbal and physical sciences scores like excellent but your biology score is really low. This "6" looks particularly bad because of the 11 and 10 you got. From what I heard from Princeton Review is that medical admissions prefer a conformity in scores such that they rather you have all 10 rather than two 8 and a 12. You may want to retake the test but its up to you.

Retake the MCAT( if you feel that you would see improvement)...Your GPA is ok. There are TONS of medical students out there with scores equal to yours. Keep your chin up.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel called to be a fantastic physician, please apply. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good doctor?!

thank you for your replies.

whynotme,
are u sure that there're med school students with score similar to mine?
do u even think that i can get one single interview?

shiela, i don't quite understand your statement. can you explain that again? thanks.

mr.annonymous
6 is my verbal, not bio. would that have any effect compare getting a 6 on bio?

thank you again,

I'm right there with you.
3.5 in EE, 3.93 Post-Bac, 6V 10P 10B.
I'm applying. Hopefully they will look at my previous scores 7V 10P 10P, which are from 2 years ago. Not much better, but i am consistant though.....The only excuse I could offer this year is that I was working 40hrs/week and taking 2 class at night. Good luck

[This message has been edited by Zero Cool (edited 06-20-2000).]

MTY,

Although grades are important, they do look at other things such as extra-curricular activities that shows your devotion to helping others. Nowadays, it appears that some research doesn't hurt either. The best doctors aren't always the one who score best, but they are the one who show the most devotion. I think that it something you should emphasize on.... also, back it up with your personal experiences if you can.

Good Luck,
smile.gif

------------------
Adrian Zai
Scutwork.com

sw-adrian
thank you for your advise,
i did have great research and volunteer experiences. i was volunteering as a clinical researcher and i did have paper published in the medical journals.

however, i found my passion in being a primary physician working in either minority or rural community. that's what i've been doing besides my full-time job. working for refugees and boys-girls club, i find great joy of doing that.

but if i don't even get an interview, how am i able to explain myself to the adcom?

pls adv

thank you

Hey there,

I think your motivations sound right on, and your rural focus is particularly in line with the mission statements of many medical schools. This could really help you since, besides your verbal score, your numbers are just fine. If you really don't want to take the August MCAT, I'd suggest researching which medicals schools have an explicit primary care/rural focus and pitch yourself strongly to them via your AMCAS essay and secondaries. I know there is a shortage of people wanting to go into rural, and schools are looking for such people. There are even explicit programs at particular schools to apply to, I just can't remember where I've seen them.

I would also suggest checking out your state school(s). Your best chances are always at those, esp. if they have a rural mission, too.

Good luck!