Should I apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpman87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well am nervous about applying casue I don't want to apply & get shot down, look heres my situation. My gpa as of right now is a 2.758 according to my school, that is not including the spring semester grades due to the fact it isn't over, but am sitting at all A's (ecology, Intro. To Psy. , Physics 2 & Lab, Genetics Lab) and 1 B in Genetics, so be GPA should shoot up to a 3.00 after this semester.
My gpa is so low because I was hanging around the wrong people my freshman and sophmore year, and I relized that, if I continue to surrond myself with them I will get no where, so I disassociated myself from them and start to hang around with some friends I have acquird at college and they wanted to be dentist as well, so that is what helped me to turn everythign around.
I have since brought up my grades, for example last semster I was taking Physics 1, ceramics, Physics Lab and a problem solving course, Calc. 2, and I got 3 A's a B, and a C in Calc. 2, and this semester am doing even better. But am afarid that the F i got in Gen. Chem, D in Trig and Organic 2 arent gonna Look good. But am studying hard for the DAT, I ahve joined the Pre-Dental Club in my school, and am really involved wiht that,and I also do community service and I have been shadowing my two dentist, since last summer 3-4 hrs a week once a week.
Am also hoping that since I ahve three Immadiate family members (who are Dentist now) went to the school I want to go to, and that, that might help me out a little bit.
My plan is to apply and see what happens because I have heard of plenty of sub 3.0 people get in, and also If I dont get in, then I will apply at the end of my senior year(Sping 09), and my gpa will be above a 3.2 (atleast) for sure, because of the study habiats I have developed.

So do have any adivce, words of encouragement, or things I can do to frther imporve my application?? Many people told me taht if I don't get in this time , its okay casue am young, am 21 now, and that the avg. age for dental school is like 25.

In advance I thank you for all you opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

i am glad you began to turn everything around, but i think you should wait a year before you apply to really have time to make your application stronger.

no one can really tell you what your chances are or will you get in or not. i think everyone is nervous about getting rejected. if you feel that you are prepared then i say apply this year.

the only reason i said to apply next year because it seems like you need to retake some of your classes like gen chem and organic 2. make sure to also retake any classes you got a C- or lower. you might not be able to finish all the classes before you matriculate if you apply this year and get accepted. since you will have to finish up taking classes for your degree and retaking a few classes. i dont know how many you need to retake. if you only need to take those 2 then i think you might be able to finish taking all the classes you need.

there are plently of extracurricular activities you can do to make your application better. just look around this forum for ideas.

just keep up the good work and get them As!

I did I retook Orgo. and got a B+ and Chem. and got a B+ as well