pvnguyen1

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
I will be finishing Organic Chem 1 and second semester of Bio in next semester. I had 3 semester of Physics before. I plan to take the MCAT in May or June and then apply for Med schools and then take Organic Chem 2 and the third semester of Bio in the Fall, Biochemistry, and an upper-division Bio. My top school choice requires Biochemistry and an upper- division Bio class. Should I apply to other schools in June after taking the MCAT or should I wait until I finish all of my classes? I still need to do some volunteer works.

Will it hurt if I apply too early?

Last edited:

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
There is not that much ochem on the test anymore so it is possible you could get away with it.

If you pick up a review book and understand it, then go for it.

It really depends on if you are smart enough and a good enough testtaker to get away with not having all the info. Some people can reason through it and still do great. I had a friend that did not have Bio II and Ochem II and still got a 33.

Basically, what you can get away depends on your abilities. So, you need to answer this one yourself. :)

About the Ads

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I will be finishing Organic Chem 1 and second semester of Bio in next semester. I had 3 semester of Physics before. I plan to take the MCAT in May or June and then apply for Med schools and then take Organic Chem 2 and the third semester of Bio in the Fall, Biochemistry, and an upper-division Bio. My top school choice requires Biochemistry and an upper- division Bio class. Should I apply to other schools in June after taking the MCAT or should I wait until I finish all of my classes? I still need to do some volunteer works.

I took some of the Kaplan review and found that having taken upper division science classes like Biochemistry, Immunology, and Pathophysiology helped tremendously in understanding the material presented. If you can, I would suggest that your wait until the last moment before applying (if you are going for a 4-year degree) before taking the MCATs.

lainey234

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2006
Out of the cold
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I applied prematurely last cycle. I had one yr of post bacc and taken the MCAT + a little volunteer experience. I thought maybe I would get lucky. I got soundly rejected from every school i applied to. I don't think it hurt me. I applied again this round and have done much better. Just be prepared for the likelihood of rejection and alot of wasted money if you apply too early.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.