Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I apply?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by pvnguyen1, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pvnguyen1

2+ Year Member

I will be finishing Organic Chem 1 and second semester of Bio in next semester. I had 3 semester of Physics before. I plan to take the MCAT in May or June and then apply for Med schools and then take Organic Chem 2 and the third semester of Bio in the Fall, Biochemistry, and an upper-division Bio. My top school choice requires Biochemistry and an upper- division Bio class. Should I apply to other schools in June after taking the MCAT or should I wait until I finish all of my classes? I still need to do some volunteer works.

Will it hurt if I apply too early?

#1 pvnguyen1, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. pvnguyen1

2+ Year Member

Does the MCAT require Organic Chem 2 in order to do well on the Biological Science?

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is not that much ochem on the test anymore so it is possible you could get away with it.

If you pick up a review book and understand it, then go for it.

It really depends on if you are smart enough and a good enough testtaker to get away with not having all the info. Some people can reason through it and still do great. I had a friend that did not have Bio II and Ochem II and still got a 33.

Basically, what you can get away depends on your abilities. So, you need to answer this one yourself. :)

4. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took some of the Kaplan review and found that having taken upper division science classes like Biochemistry, Immunology, and Pathophysiology helped tremendously in understanding the material presented. If you can, I would suggest that your wait until the last moment before applying (if you are going for a 4-year degree) before taking the MCATs.

5. lainey234

lainey234 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I applied prematurely last cycle. I had one yr of post bacc and taken the MCAT + a little volunteer experience. I thought maybe I would get lucky. I got soundly rejected from every school i applied to. I don't think it hurt me. I applied again this round and have done much better. Just be prepared for the likelihood of rejection and alot of wasted money if you apply too early.