should I apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forrealtuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.2 BCP gpa
3.1 science gpa
3.1 overall gpa

20 AA
20 TS
20 PAT

repeated all prereqs: Bilogy I and II, Chem I & II, Ochem I & II, Phys I & II at community college

should I apply this cycle or take more upper level classes at university and apply 2014-15 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

why did u repeat all pre reqs at CC?

did u take them at university first or CC first?

u might need a masters or retake the DAT. and yes u need more upper level bio classes to demonstrate that u can handle the dental curriculum.

why did u repeat all pre reqs at CC?

did u take them at university first or CC first?

u might need a masters or retake the DAT. and yes u need more upper level bio classes to demonstrate that u can handle the dental curriculum.

I repeated to increase my bcp gpa. If i do, which school should i apply to? and if i retake my DAT, what scores are expected?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's your first mistake - Retaking classes. Your second mistake, doing it at a CC just to "boost your GPA"

You should have taken higher level Bio/Chem classes at a 4 year university to boost your GPA.

As for your question, with that GPA, in order to even be really considered/competitive, you need at least a 24+. In other words, something outstanding to make up (except it never can) for your GPA.

That's your first mistake - Retaking classes. Your second mistake, doing it at a CC just to "boost your GPA"

You should have taken higher level Bio/Chem classes at a 4 year university to boost your GPA.

As for your question, with that GPA, in order to even be really considered/competitive, you need at least a 24+. In other words, something outstanding to make up (except it never can) for your GPA.

lol 24+ cool dude. someone give me some real advice.

realistically u need to take those classes at a university.

2nd u need to take MORE upper level bio classes AT a university

if that doesnt work, u need to get a masters (1 year)

or just re-take DAT and make 21+ (not 24)

the question is: did u graduate with a science degree? if not, take more Upper level bio classes.

I was a chem major and took many upper bio classes and it showed that I just didnt take the minimum pre-reqs. Reason is that u are at a disadvantage against BIo majors.

realistically u need to take those classes at a university.

2nd u need to take MORE upper level bio classes AT a university

if that doesnt work, u need to get a masters (1 year)

or just re-take DAT and make 21+ (not 24)

the question is: did u graduate with a science degree? if not, take more Upper level bio classes.

I was a chem major and took many upper bio classes and it showed that I just didnt take the minimum pre-reqs. Reason is that u are at a disadvantage against BIo majors.

Thanks dude. I did graduate with a BS degree in 2009 but obviously i didn't do well hence repeating classes.
I will probably do my DAT again in june.
Do you know of any 1 yr masters program in Texas? i am from Houston.

north texas has biomedical science masters.

UT med center has one as well

north texas has biomedical science masters.

UT med center has one as well

thank you for your responses. I will attend UH Spring 2013. I know you went there from your previous post. I Plan to take biochem histology microbiology. Do you recommend any upper level classes to take and which to avoid?

thank you for your responses. I will attend UH Spring 2013. I know you went there from your previous post. I Plan to take biochem histology microbiology. Do you recommend any upper level classes to take and which to avoid?

dont take evolutionary unless u like genetics

take genetics, human physiology with lab (lab is good and easy), take micro lab (easy if have time), neuroscience (hard class), and maybe AP 1 and 2 (easy since its freshman).

human physio (chad wayne, u will learn so much in this class, dont take this lightly)
microbiology (Richard Knapp, easy)
ap 1 and 2 (richard Knapp, easy)

i didnt know they offer histology

lol 24+ cool dude. someone give me some real advice.

Your DAT is average and GPA is below average. And depending on the other aspects you will likely have a below average application. If you want to apply this cycle you need an improvement fast, and the only way to do that is retake the DAT. A 24 is achievable if you commit to studying, and I think it would make you more competitive and put you in the mix.