Should I Ask For LoR Now or Later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychapplicant133

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an MS3 right now who fully committed to psych within the last few months. Psych has been on my radar but I didn't commit until MS3, so I might not have the best LoR's right now. I honored my psych rotation at the beginning of MS3 (now towards the end of MS3) and had a pretty good relationship with one of the attendings, but I haven't seen them in a while. I only saw them during the rotation to be honest and not anytime after, and it's not like the two of us were super close. Should I ask the attending now for a LoR or wait until ERAS comes closer to ask? Or, alternatively, should I just wait until MS4 and ask the attendings there for letters?

I realistically won't see this attending again in MS4 year, unfortunately, given how my schedule played out. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am an MS3 right now who fully committed to psych within the last few months. Psych has been on my radar but I didn't commit until MS3, so I might not have the best LoR's right now. I honored my psych rotation at the beginning of MS3 (now towards the end of MS3) and had a pretty good relationship with one of the attendings, but I haven't seen them in a while. I only saw them during the rotation to be honest and not anytime after, and it's not like the two of us were super close. Should I ask the attending now for a LoR or wait until ERAS comes closer to ask? Or, alternatively, should I just wait until MS4 and ask the attendings there for letters?

I realistically won't see this attending again in MS4 year, unfortunately, given how my schedule played out. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!
I would let them know that you decided on psychiatry and that you would appreciate a LOR. Sooner is better so that they can recall you and have lots of time to work on the letter (you will probably have to remind them several times while gently mentioning the due date). Also, if for some reason they decline (this rarely happens), you will know you need to find another writer. I had one attending ask me to write the letter but I wouldn't do that unless they ask. Instead, if they reply that they will write the letter, you could consider helpfully responding with an outline, maybe some bullet points, of the things you think you did well during the rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
As an attending asked to write lots of LORs (literally, someone just did today, and another last week): ask now, while you are fresh in their mind. They should know and be used to this happening but not writing it until later.

When a student asks me for a letter this early, if I am willing to do it, I tell them to email me in July confirming they want a letter from me and sending me some information about their application. At that point they actually go on my to do list.

It's OK to change your mind later and end up not needing this letter. That's normal and if I don't hear from someone who had asked me for a letter it's not a problem. But it's your responsibility to send the attending polite reminders closer to application season.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can ask now. I do recommend trying to keep a relationship with these attendings and prospective letter writers (the occasional email now and again). It will make them remember you and make for a stronger letter. You will then ask again once ERAS opens up and ideally provide them with a copy of your CV, personal statement, and some memorable patients you had together. Also include anything else you might want them to include or know about.

Reactions: 1 user
I tend to not write letters before ERAS opens, but I'm sure every attending is different.

Imo you should just ask immediately.

If asked, I write them immediately as my memory is terrible and my letters are just better. If people ask much later I'm much more likely to either decline or give them the heads up it will probably be fairly generic unless they were a really outstanding sub-i. I work with somewhere between 8-15 medical students per month including M3s on their core rotation, M4s doing electives, and sub-i's (both internal and visiting).

That being said, don't be afraid to ask previous attendings if you need to or think they'd write you a strong letter. It's better to have too many letters then not enough!

As someone who who is a psych preceptor for two med schools, as well as teaching two residency residency programs..ask sooner than later. I get a lot of people, and generally i do remember most of my students in some way. But if you asked me specific details about ones i had a year ago, ill probably completely forget.

However, after recently doing a LOR for an applicant i realized the process is different this year. Its not a regular letter, its a "template" with multiple different questions the attending answers. Last year I just wrote a letter and didnt even have to make an account. This year i had to make my own ERAS account and answer like 7 essay prompts for a letter. I dont mind helping med students but i hate that they changed the process, feels annoying.