jbailey

7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2009
Status
I am wondering if I would be even considered for dental school. I attended a 4 year university where I took alot of time to complete my degree, I repeated alot of course work. I worked a fulltime jon for a large company for many years, while I attempted to complete my degree. I have a BS in biology and a chemistry minor. Now the repeated courses work would show me either failing the course initially and going back and doing very well. I dont know how serious anyone would take a student that gets a failing grade then retakes the same course and gets an A. I am now 34, so I am not within the younger age group of those who would attend DS. I have been out of college now for 5 years. I am considering taken up an associate degree in dental assisting and I wonder if that would make a difference. Any thoughts?

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
I am wondering if I would be even considered for dental school. I attended a 4 year university where I took alot of time to complete my degree, I repeated alot of course work. I worked a fulltime jon for a large company for many years, while I attempted to complete my degree. I have a BS in biology and a chemistry minor. I am now 34, so I am not within the younger age group of those who would attend DS. I have been out of college now for 5 years. I am considering taken up an associate degree in dental assisting and I wonder if that would make a difference. Any thoughts?
Do you think a da position will somehow make your grades appear more impressive?

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Admissions in general is a numbers game. Your GPA and DAT scores are the most significant factors that will give you the initial interview. You can have hours upon hours of volunteering and other extracurriculars, but if you have subpar grades, it will not make much of a difference. What exactly is your GPA and have you taken the DAT yet? In my opinion, if they are lacking, a dental assisting degree isn't going to really get you anywhere; you need a solid foundation in the sciences. Also, 34 isn't too old. Doc toothache just posted a thread on age and dental school admissions: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=649117