Should I attend an AACOM recruitment event? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiddenninja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I would like to hear everyone's opinions on whether I should a DO recruitment event tomorrow. It is in Orlando and I would be driving from Tallahassee to attend (about 3.5 hour drive) and I would probably be renting a car and staying in a hotel.

I'm fairly strapped for cash, but if attending this event help in some way in determining whether the school feels I am a good candidate for their program and whether I feel like they are a good fit for me then it would be worth the ~170 dollars it would cost for the commute + hotel.

If anyone has attended something like this I would love to hear opinions! I would hate to do this just to get some handouts that are available on their website.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I found sdn to be very resourceful in terms of narrowing down what schools to apply to based on stats mission etc. You can also download the CIB and it will tell you most things you want to know. But the best way to get a feel for which school you like is to actually visit the school and get a tour.

Thank you for replying, I won't be able to fly to the schools simply for tours as that would cost quite a bit (except if it is interviews), but supposedly students and admissions officers from most schools will be at the events so I figured it would be the next best thing

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this event would provide you with anything that you couldn't find by doing your own research. Each school is going to play up its strengths and try to sell you, but at the end of the application cycle, you will know where you want to go by interviewing there/visiting them.

I know when I was applying, if I had any questions, I could just email the admissions office and they were super helpful.

All in all, I don't really think that its worth spending the money if you're truly strapped for cash.

Did you end up going?

Yes I did, here is my opinion/ contribution for anyone who is in a similar situation, the first half of the event was essentially all presentations with info you can find online.

During the latter half when you meat the representatives was the most beneficial part imo. Expect there to be many students at the various tables, a 5-10 minute wait seemed normal and the representatives were only there for about an hour so plan wisely. Also of note, expect there to be a large crowd around your local school, for example Nova had a large crowd and there were other well known Osteopathic schools that had essentially no one waiting. Since there were so many people around Nova it were almost essentially a group Q/A section.

I would attend if you are within 3 hrs drive or so, but I definitely would not fly out of state for this. Some representatives to ask for your email so you can keep in touch but for the most part a lot of it was info you probably could find by phone call/ online.

Final note- have a list/ idea of which schools you are interested in so you can save time, you will not have enough time to visit every school, you can get about 5 schools done in the allotted time, good luck!