Should I be encouraged or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizzo

Fat, Dumb and happy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my interview the other week, connected very well with my second interviewer. He was impressed with my life history and thought I've lived a good/productive life. He finished the interview by saying that he was going to fight hard for me to the admissions board and be my advocate *so at this point I'm feeling pretty good about everything*. Then he said he was going to do this because he thought I was going to need all the help I could get! I should add that this was a closed file interview so he didn't see my LOR's or GPA, etc. I just don't know how to feel. I guess my answer will come with time.

Members don't see this ad.

It's great that your interviewer said he wanted to help you. But take it with a grain of salt as to what this means. So far my best interview has been at the one school to reject me post interview.

yeah I know. I also know that everyone says that the interview they thought they did the worst at, is actually the one that they got the highest score on. I just thought it strange for the doctor to actually say he was going to fight for me, I've had many interviews before this and none of them said anything quite that specific....but now with doing nothing but waiting all day long, the analytical mind takes over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add with a "you never know" story... I haven't heard anything since November from what I thought was my best interview. Contrast this with an interview at a different school, with me not giving a f$#@ what happened, and getting accepted the next week.

Geez.

You may still get rejected. You never know.

Do you have any way to contact him...keep your name fresh in his/her head....send him a thank you...Somehow keep his attention...

I sent him a "thank you" card. I'm fortunate enough to have remembered enough of the interview to personalize the card so that I wouldn't be just a nameless applicant with him. He and I really connected with some of my life experiences.

It is great you had a good interview. That helps your interviewer go to the comittee and plead your case as your advocate.

You can think postively, but it is hard to tell so don't get your hopes up yet. I had the best interview I ever had, and was waitlisted then rejected the week classes started. I was told by the dean of admissions that my interviewer thought I was the best and really pleaded my case but the others weren't as impressed. It is a shame that they all can't meet us face to face so they can make a determination about us that will be more acurate than seeing us on the 2 dimensional paper application.

I wish you luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by wizzo
Then he said he was going to do this because he thought I was going to need all the help I could get!

Maybe when he said youll need all the help you can get he just meant in general, getting into medical school is hard, and everyone needs all the help they can get.