Should i be happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well i just got back from Kaplan test#2 and i scored a 19 :mad:
So, lets recap shall we?
Diag. =14: 4,6,4
Test#1=17: 4,7,6
Test#2=21: 6,7,8

We have about 4 weeks left till the real 'thang, what do you guys think of my "scores?" I am going to take a practice AAMC test (not the 1-6 ones, just a free copy i got) this friday, i will let you know my score ASAP :D

EDIT: i got a 21 on test 3 not a 19. I know it is still VERY low :rolleyes:

thx,

Members don't see this ad.

have you taken the classes you need for the mcat yet? (ie organic, intro chem, molecular bio, physics, etc)

it's been a couple years since i took organic :rolleyes:, but your grignard rxn looks weird.. why is the eto2 included?

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
have you taken the classes you need for the mcat yet? (ie organic, intro chem, molecular bio, physics, etc)

it's been a couple years since i took organic :rolleyes:, but your grignard rxn looks weird.. why is the eto2 included?

Originally posted by Bikini Princess

Et2O= DIEITHYL ETHER
You need to run a RMgX reaction.
(i had EtO2, my bad!)

I have taken
bio,micro,chem.,orgo,physics, biochem1&2.

I am a bad tester. I just need to improve my test-taking skill. What's weird is that my sci. gpa is a 3.85! :oops:
.......my life sux!!
:( :(

Originally posted by Femtochemistry

I am a bad tester. I just need to improve my test-taking skill. What's weird is that my sci. gpa is a 3.85! :oops:
.......my life sux!!
:( :(

Bad tester is just another way of saying overachievier.

Members don't see this ad :)
no. don't be happy w those scores. keep at it. and if u dont' see signfican't improvement, i wouldn't recommend taking it this aug. good luck tho

Originally posted by Femtochemistry

We have about 4 weeks left till the real 'thang, what do you guys think of my "scores?" I am going to take a practice AAMC test (not the 1-6 ones, just a free copy i got) this friday

AAMC not 1-6? What free copy? Try a real AAMC 1-6 to find out your real score...I've heard that's the only way.

Originally posted by CoffeeCat

AAMC not 1-6? What free copy? Try a real AAMC 1-6 to find out your real score...I've heard that's the only way.

thx for the adive, i will then be taking AAMC 1 on thur. since damn kaplan is closed on fri. :rolleyes: :mad:

I don' t consider myself a very good test taker either. The first time I took Kaplan, I was scoring between 28-30s on the Diags. My first Kaplan was a 25. I ended up getting <25 on the real thing.

The second time I took the MCATs, I didn't use Kaplan's course, but studied from books and used the AAMC tests. I was scoring 30-33s and ended up with a 30 on the test.

My best suggestion for you is if you know the material, start practicing on tests closer to test time. (2-2.5 weeks in advance.) Make sure you are timing yourself correctly and pay attention to your weaknesses such as when you are getting tired, which passages are your strengths, etc. Since I was horrible at the verbal section, I found reading the NY Times, Time, Newsweek, and humanity magazines to my advantage. In addition, I would tackle the passages that appealed to me first and save the philosophical ones until the end.

For the science sections, I would breeze through the chemistry in the Physical Science section and concentrate on the physics since it was my weakness. I did the same for the Bio section, only I did the orgo first.

I believe I was better prepared for the test the second time around, but I also believe I was more relaxed and knew how to tackle the test better.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Dr. Kermit

My best suggestion for you is if you know the material, start practicing on tests closer to test time. (2-2.5 weeks in advance.)

I have a feeling that this is great advice. I think by practicing tests too early (before you've brushed up on the material) you hurt yourself in two ways: 1) you hurt your confidence because you'll score low if you don't know the material 2) you waste time taking tests you won't do well on instead of getting down the material first.

I think one is good to figure out your week spots but then study the science, then study the art of taking the MCAT.

With those kind of scores I would suggest going back and reviewing instead of taking more practice tests. My advisor told me that generally if someone scores below a 7 on a section then they don't really understand the subject. A 7 to 9 indicates that the person knows the material but may not be used to the MCAT questions.

I took kaplan last time aronud so I know how you are feeling. I had scores ranging from 19 to 25 and wound up with a 22 on the real thing. Retaking in augest using EK this time.