Should I be relaxing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sev3reD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
xx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. Your EC's are weak. Try gaining as much clinical exposure as you can this semester before you apply. 60 hrs is too little.

Do you have any non-medicine related ECs? Clubs you were part of, leadership positions you have held, jobs you have had, hobbies, interests etc? List them when you apply.

Number wise, you are good. You do have a good shot at a few of the Ohio schools if you can convince them of your interest in medicine.

No, you shouldn't be relaxing. Your EC's are not very strong.

Shadowing: Add a PCP
Clinical volunteering: Continue doing. 60 hours is on the low side
Research: 10 weeks is really low. Any possibility of picking it up again, either on the same project or a new one?
Non-clinical volunteering: none? Add some if possible
Leadership: none? Add some if possible
Any work/hobbies/tutoring/etc?

I am a junior at OSU and have a 3.92 in chemical engineering.
I took the MCAT 33P (13/10/10)

ECs
-80 shadow hours total (40 with opthamologist, 40 with orthopedic/sports medicine)
-About 60 hours of volunteering at a hopsital with patient contact.
-10 weeks of cancer research with nanoparticles (no publications).
-Good LoR's from multiple sources.

My ECs seem pretty weak to me. I want to apply in June, so I do not have much time. Any recommendations on what I should do, and how likely do you think I will be accepted into an ohio MD school?
I suggest you give consideration to delaying your application by a year so you can beef up your ECs and have some decent longevity with some of the activities.

Your stats are very nice, but they just get the adcomm's attention. You need decent ECs to get an interview invitation at most places.