Should I Become a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedwig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm currently a post-bacc premedical student. I want to become a doctor, and I don't particularly care whether it's an MD or DO. I'm definitely leaning towards DO, but I can't decide. They both have their pros/cons. So, I was wondering if any of you future DOs out there could tell me why I should become a DO as opposed to an MD. I'd really love some fresh perspectives on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Read "The D.O.'s" by Norman Gevitz.... then you will be able to decide..

I think you need to know the D.O. history before you decide...

This helped me decide... I didn't know the differences, I didn't even know about D.O.'s a few years ago, but now, I like D.O. better.. It just suits me better...

To each his own....

Mike

Ask that question to some currently practicing DOs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hedwig,

Not many of the major publishers of premedical literature (i.e. The Princeton Review) devote enough time and attention to what osteopathy is, so it's best to do your research in other ways. I definitely agree with Mike when he says to read Gevitz's book. Although it is written from an historical standpoint, you truly gain a sound sense of the profession and how it came to be. It also helped me to understand why osteopathy is as it is in our society today.
Secondly, I'd suggest job shadowing. That played a major factor in my ultimate decision to pursue osteopathy. Try to work with a physician who practices manipulative therapy or who is well known for using osteopathic diagnostic techniques in his/her practice. That will give you an idea as to what you'd eventually be doing!!
There are awesome websites, books, and many other ways to look into both allopathy and osteopathy and it's just about finding what philosophy suits you best. It's true when they say that the distinction is blurred between the two groups. There are MD's and DO's in everything from family practice to neurosurgery! Take care and good luck!

Julia Rosebush
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2006

Hedwig, you don't have an "angry inch" do you??

Anyway, sure there is a highly preached "philosophy" used in Osteopathic student recruiting, but what you need to decide, is what program, whether it be MD or DO actually seems to "fit" you when you arrive for interviews. Also, you must determine, where do the graduates go for residency. Is this an institution that has residents in rural primary care, or does this institution have many graduates entering into specialties?
Also, look where you may be spending your 3rd and 4th years. It is always of great benefit to have a hospital on campus, this allows many to get an "early look" at the clinical aspect of medicine...and gives you a heads up on "hospital life".
Lastly, look at money, though it shouldn't be the sole determining factor, it is a factor nonetheless. In retrospect, if I had applied to a cheaper state school, I probably should have gone.
But, such is life.

good luck

HAHAHAHAH!! Do I have an angry inch? You'll have to ask my man Yitzhak, or perhaps Tommy Gnosis if you can find him.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys. Truth be told, I'm well acquainted with the osteopathic "philosophy" and the history of the profession. My grandfather founded one of the osteopathic medical schools, and one of my parents makes his living administrating an osteopathic medical school, which is why I need to come to the forum to get a straight, truthful answer :)

I was thinking more along the lines of practical reasons. Put another way, Say I'm a patient. I'm sick. There are two doctors in my town, an MD and a DO. Why should I go to the DO?

Now what if I'm REALLY sick. Cancer or something. There are two medical oncologists nearby. One's an MD. The other's a DO. They trained at the same fellowship. Why should I go to the DO and not the MD?

I hope these ?s don't sound dumb. This is really what I wonder about when I consider which route to choose. I tell you one thing I do know, however. I know LOTS of DOs, DO students, and pre-DO students, and they are so much cooler--and equally as smart, if not more so!--than the MDs and pre-MDs I know.

Hedwig,

If you don't care which then it doesn't matter. The book by Gevitz I would recommend to anyone considering medicine regardless of MD or DO. While this book focuses on the DO's, it gives good insight into the political aspects of medicine. What I learned from this book is:

1. MD's were attempting to sabotage osteopathy as recently as the 1970's.

2. Until the latter part of the 20th century, NO ONE in medicine (DO's, MD's, homeopaths, etc.) had any real idea how to treat disease or even what caused disease.

My prediction is that as the science of medicine matures, there will be less distinction between the two degrees. Eventually, the differences will be no different than that of BS or BA.

Personally, I'm aiming for osteopathy because several DO's have impressed me with their laid back and down to earth demeanor.

Choose what will give you the best education.

Hedwig: based on the scenarios you laid out your theoretical patient would end up going to the doctor w/ the best reputation in town, the one who has a good/established relationship w/ your PCP, the one who works in the hospital w/ better facilities, the one in your insurance plan etc...

My point being that very few pts choose a doctor based on their degree (or schooling - did the md go to state U or Stanford? the DO to LECOM or Kirksville?), and most decisions are made on the basis of more ineffable, personal connections.

Of course, getting into a prestigious neurosurgery residency (to put yrself into the kind of positional dilemna you're positing)will depend on what school you went to. MD easier than DO, Yale easier than Wayne St. What kind of med do you think you want to practice?

The point of all of our goals is and should be becoming competent, caring physicians, trusted and respected by our communities and our colleagues. There are two valid ways to make this happen, and many ways to screw it up.

As patients become for selective and educated, it is VERY likely they will choose private physicians based upon Where they went to school, Where they went to residency, and Where they did dofellowship...only if that information became available to them.

Sure, this is NOT a wide spread trend, many affluent areas already do this!

Also, many market their CV/Resume on brochures, commercials, internet to get business.
Nonetheless, choosing a medical school is a personal decision and you will know the right place once you get there. Be happy first and foremost, and do not compromise your beliefs.
As a DO 4th year, I can claim, that my best attendings have been both MD and DO. Neither MD nor DO hold a monopoly on superb care.

Later