Should I bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lighty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science GPA ~2.8 ( I received a D in Calc II)
Overall GPA ~3.0
OAT 290
QR 290
RC 360
B 280
GC 290
OC 250
P 260
TS 270

I have about 10 hours of shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually if one of your numbers is on the low end, the other one should be really high to even things out. At this point, especially if you're close to graduating, it would be difficult to bring your GPA up. If I were you, I would study my ass off and take the OAT again. Did you even study for it? I was getting scores close to yours when I took a practice test before I started studying just to see where I was at (about 3 months ago). I would also do some more shadowing, maybe with both optometrists and opthalmologists just to show some diversity. It's only August, you still have time to strengthen your application.

Is that D still on your transcript? If it is, I would probably take that class over.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your OAT scores are atrocious. Some kids in my class said they had sub 3.0 gpas and got accepted but they had over 350s on their OAT.

I would take it over, but at best I would get a C. I would only retake it if I could get an A or possibly a B.

I fail to see how any aspiring professional student could be sold on their future career choice after shadowing for 10 hours.

My first OAT scores were really similar to yours(a bit higher though) and I applied last year and my gpa was also 3.0.
my first scores 300 TS / 290 AA
BIO 290
G CHEM 320
O CHEM 340
QR 280
PHY 270
RC 260
I applied to 12 schools last year and did not get accepted anywhere all the schools told me to retake the OAT. I think your gpa is fine just try to do better on the OAT. I could have gone to PR but I decided to put in a 5th year instead.

My first OAT scores were really similar to yours(a bit higher though) and I applied last year and my gpa was also 3.0.
my first scores 300 TS / 290 AA
BIO 290
G CHEM 320
O CHEM 340
QR 280
PHY 270
RC 260
I applied to 12 schools last year and did not get accepted anywhere all the schools told me to retake the OAT. I think your gpa is fine just try to do better on the OAT. I could have gone to PR but I decided to put in a 5th year instead.
Thanks a lot

Science GPA ~2.8 ( I received a D in Calc II)
Overall GPA ~3.0
OAT 290
QR 290
RC 360
B 280
GC 290
OC 250
P 260
TS 270

I have about 10 hours of shadowing experience.

No. Retake calc and some courses and retake the OAT.

I don't think you should necessarily worry about whether or not to apply, but whether or not you'll succeed. If you had difficulty grasping the material in undergraduate, you'll have seriously troubles in any professional program, not just optometry.

I'm not saying you should quit, but if you are taking out loans to pay for the schooling, you may want to think about yourself. Was it trouble, or laziness? Trouble grasping material cannot be corrected without tons or work. Laziness can, but there's no room for it after your bachelor's.