Should I cancel?

Started by Mottie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mottie

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm taking the PCAT in a week on September 18. I honestly haven't really studied very much due to a family issue so I'm not feeling very confident, and the scores are going to be send to a few schools. So my question is this: If your first PCAT score is terrible but your second one is better, will pharmacy schools hold the first against you? If they do, I'd prefer to just cancel it and do well on the November test.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I'm taking the PCAT in a week on September 18. I honestly haven't really studied very much due to a family issue so I'm not feeling very confident, and the scores are going to be send to a few schools. So my question is this: If your first PCAT score is terrible but your second one is better, will pharmacy schools hold the first against you? If they do, I'd prefer to just cancel it and do well on the November test.

They wont, but you may want to explain your circumstances to them
 
Ok thank you. It's really kind of personal so I can't properly explain the situation to them, but thank you. I was considering the no score option but in that case you can't even see your own score.
 
Ok thank you. It's really kind of personal so I can't properly explain the situation to them, but thank you. I was considering the no score option but in that case you can't even see your own score.
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, I think you should just go ahead and take the exam (for experience) 1st time is always nerve-wrecking so you can get those jitters out of the way and void the exam. Good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, I think you should just go ahead and take the exam (for experience) 1st time is always nerve-wrecking so you can get those jitters out of the way and void the exam. Good luck!!

Thank you. How do I void the exam? Just by taking it again? Or are you talking about the no score option?
 
I think you should take it, just to see how you do; first time is always tough. And schools don't take into account how many times you take it, the majority of schools I looked at (which is A LOT) only take the highest composite score. Plus if you do poorly now you still have a chance to take in Oct/Nov in order to score better before application deadlines. If you do poorly in Oct/Nov your next option would be January which might be too late. Just my opinion.
 
Thank you. How do I void the exam? Just by taking it again? Or are you talking about the no score option?

There is no point in taking the exam "for fun." The exam is extremely, EXTREMELY stressful. What you find on one test is likely to be completely different than another test. Unless you've never taken standardized tests before, I suggest you not to take the test just for the sake of seeing what it's like.

Since you said you clearly are not prepared, I would just cancel and take it later.
 
I think you should take it, just to see how you do; first time is always tough. And schools don't take into account how many times you take it, the majority of schools I looked at (which is A LOT) only take the highest composite score. Plus if you do poorly now you still have a chance to take in Oct/Nov in order to score better before application deadlines. If you do poorly in Oct/Nov your next option would be January which might be too late. Just my opinion.
I think September is the last time you can officially take it for applications. Most school's deadlines are Nov 1st for both primary application and the supplementals. Most pharmacy schools will only accept the official grade report, and that takes at least 5 weeks to get sent out, which clearly won't meet the deadline.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Hi, I'm taking the PCAT in a week on September 18. I honestly haven't really studied very much due to a family issue so I'm not feeling very confident, and the scores are going to be send to a few schools. So my question is this: If your first PCAT score is terrible but your second one is better, will pharmacy schools hold the first against you? If they do, I'd prefer to just cancel it and do well on the November test.

I think you should not cancel but reschedule!!! Try to reschedule as soon as possible because the other dates can be full!!!!
 
There is no point in taking the exam "for fun." The exam is extremely, EXTREMELY stressful. What you find on one test is likely to be completely different than another test. Unless you've never taken standardized tests before, I suggest you not to take the test just for the sake of seeing what it's like.

Since you said you clearly are not prepared, I would just cancel and take it later.
If Mottie goes into the exam with the mindset that he/she is going to do the no score option, there should no longer be that feeling of "stress". Just have fun with the exam, at this point I don't think refunds are even allowed without some type of penalty fee. So might as well just take it and experience the feeling of this type of exam. OF COURSE the exam won't be the same (obviously), but given the circumstances, what better practice than actually taking the test in a pearon vue center.

My opinion, is to take it, and get the practice. Get a sense of what your troublesome areas are and then go HAM for the next test (whenever you're prepared for it).. Life happens, obstacles occur. It's okay!!! Just take the time you need, and whenever the time comes, start the road for handling your PCAT. It's a pretty big part of the application, and you definitely don't want to risk it by doing poorly.

Get the experience NOW, don't score it, and prepare for the next exam. GOOD LUCK!!! 🙂
 
I think you should not cancel but reschedule!!! Try to reschedule as soon as possible because the other dates can be full!!!!

You can't reschedule, it's the testing bracket for only September - meaning you can only reschedule within the given dates in September.

Oct/Nov is in a different testing bracket. Meaning you'll have to cancel (probably lose money at this point) then pay the fee for a new exam.