Dental Should I choose a non-science major? Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a biology major but I want to switch to sociology or physiocolgy to hopefully branch out and help my social skills and to also have a backup plan just incase because I have faith I can get into dental school and plan on working very hard but if plans change I have other options. I know I can major in anything as long as I take the pre reqs which I will continue to do I just don't know if sociology or physiology will be the better route.
Either one would be fine- it depends on what other options/backups you want to have. You'd have more similarities with dental school material if you major in Physiology, so that would help you (you'd be taking classes like Human Anatomy and Physiology perhaps, so those are already pre-reqs and would be needed for your major), and you wouldn't have to take too many "extra" classes. Most of the classes required to major in Sociology would have no relation to Biology/science, so you'd have to take all of those classes on the side and still (hopefully) graduate on time, but it would definitely be bringing something unique to your prospective dental school and can help you stand out. Lots of my classmates were History or English or Philosophy majors, but personally I was a Biology major and I think lots of the upper division classes I had to take for my major are really helping me in my first year.

Members don't see this ad.

Will still be taking pre reqs for dental and I get what’s to come so please don’t chew me out on how much science is required we won’t enjoy everything we have to do in life doesn’t mean you won’t get it done tho, but is there a major out there that is actually a bit entertaining and a good backup if plans dont work??? I feel everyone is a biology major and kudos to you but not my interest at all. I really like criminal justice ( I know it’s nothing with science for dental ) and forensic science I took a class on it in high school also why individuals act a certain way is intriguing. Not so much history or English I still got good grades for those classes tho I’m good at math not a bother. I could also get a higher gpa not being a biology. Overall it seems like I’m stuck with a science major but what can I do with them if I don’t attend graduate school that’s why I’m scared of having a science major. Orthodontist is my career goal if it helps...... probably probably not...I just need to do this science major probably....
You may not enjoy it but there is a lot of science in dental school, and being a Biology major will only help you, but it's not necessary. If Criminal Justice interests you, major in that then. My post was more pointing out similarities between being a Biology major and having an "easier" time in dental school because you've been exposed to the material once before. My mentioning of History and English were just examples, not necessarily that you should major in them. With a science major, you could go into research or academia. For a good backup plan, you need to explore your interests and do your research on what you could do. There's no easy answer.

Also in regards to wanting to do orthodontics, lots of students realize how hard it is to specialize only after you start school.

Status
Not open for further replies.