1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I choose Pharmacy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by EBB, Aug 3, 2015.

1. EBB

EBB

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey everyone!
    I'm currently going into my junior year of college. I have a 3.85 GPA at a large university and have taken all chemistries (gen+organic), and chemistry is my strongest subject. I did a research program this summer where I headed a breast cancer project, and it was awesome! Everyone in my lab was telling me to become an MD, but I think medical school + residency is way too long and stressful for me, personally. I really enjoy research, but again it's too political and take too much time away from family. I took the pCAT and did really well (even though I studied 3 weeks in advance + working a 40 hrs a week). I am thinking of applying to pharmacy school this year, but unsure if it's the right outlet for me, as I am very hands-on and want a job where I feel like I'm really helping people and making a difference. I was thinking about PA school. Does anyone know which would be more beneficial, considering money, work hours, job flexibility, ect?
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pms_testosterone

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess you haven't read the other threads in this forum ;)

Pharmacy is quite flexible in terms of hours, but your job will most likely include evening, night, or weekend shifts. Anyway, you should definitely shadow a pharmacist and a PA, as these are rather different jobs, and I imagine after seeing what they're like you will come to prefer one or the other.

4. MyRealNameIs

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    PA school is only 2 years and I believe they make similar or slightly less salary than most pharmacists.

Right now, the job outlook for PA is much better but can't say how it will look in 2 years. Can't be worse than the current pharmacy job market. There aren't enough doctors to take care of all the patients so hospitals hiring PAs to delegate tasks might be the only solution to take care of influx of pts after Obamacare.

Can't speak about job flexibility of PAs but I would assume its not much different from pharmacists.

Maruko likes this.
  5. DrSerax

Pharmacist
    With those stats you could be whatever you wanted! My two younger siblings want to follow in my footsteps and be pharmacists as well but I tell them they should look into PA school, which I think is the better option of the two.

But you should definitely get some experience in both, shadow, and see what you like better? However the outlook on pharmacy isn't that great. There are more students graduating than there are jobs available so keep that in mind. Good luck!