Should I consider applying late or wait till next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for your Oklahoma school so you could apply in early September and submit your secondary by late September. If no success this year you should apply broadly to at least 15 schools next year.

You are competitive for your Oklahoma school so you could apply in early September and submit your secondary by late September. If no success this year you should apply broadly to at least 15 schools next year.
Do you recommend that he not apply broadly this cycle because of the late application?

Members don't see this ad :)
OU doesn't look at anything until Sept. 1 anyway, so if you would hurry up and get your stuff in to them, you won't be outrageously late. Your GPA is high for OU. You don't want to apply to OSU-COM too? I'm applying to those two only this cycle.

I don't have any DO shadowing, so I can't fulfill their letter requirements.

I thought I would only be a realistic applicant at my instate school. And that I'm also second guessing-- @rabbott1971 apparently the class of 2021 has a median MCAT of 510?? It's on their website. I don't think I would be competitive at the out of state schools that I would consider worthy of double tuition + living expenses (OU has a campus in my hometown).
Are you from Tulsa or OKC? If from Tulsa PM me about shadowing contacts. Don't let that hang you up. You could knock that out in a couple or three weeks. Anyway if it takes another cycle, its not the end of the world.

That average MCAT (if true) would be a substantial increase from OU's previous mean MCATs around 508 (also the national average for matriculants). Maybe a grain of salt is indicated. But you never know, there are some smart kids applying.

PM me if you want to talk about your situation, I have a pretty good handle on the Oklahoma stuff. Good luck man.