Should I consider pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdcd67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering various careers in medicine and I was just wondering. In science, I really like biology and inorganic chemistry....but I'm not so good at organic chemistry. It could be because I have a terrible teacher, so I have to self-teach myself the subject....it can be pretty tough learning it on your own)...but anyhow, I wanted to know if you guys think I should rethink pharmacy because I'm not so good in organic chemistry.

Main point is: is pharmacy very heavily based on organic chemistry?

Thank you for reading. :)

Members don't see this ad.

A Simple answer to your question is NO.
The long answer is:
Organic chemistry is the fundamental way in which drugs are created but in terms of school, Organic chemistry in my opinion is 90% memorization which helps you in pharmacy school as it is full in memorizing drugs - their classes, indications, dosages, side effects etc...
Overall, you dont use organic chemistry in pharmacy school but maybe 1-5% of what you learned.
In addition, pharmacy students are not all biology, chemistry or science majors, some are business majors, math majors, teachers, etc... Meaning you dont have to be an expert in Organic Chemistry to be a pharm student or to excel in pharm school but you do need to complete it because I just think it preps you, elevating you memorization skills
HOPE this response helps

Like in any career, I'd suggest that you spend some time working/volunteering in a pharmacy or shadowing a pharmacist. You can also shadow a physician and see if you want to go that route. That's a good way to see what you want to do.

I agree with the above poster. Orgo is straight up memorizing, and it prepares you for pharmacy school in terms of mental preperation. So don't worry too much about how you do in the Orgo classs...but try to aim for at least a B :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Thanks for your help guys! :)

What if you have a terrible teacher/teachers again? You will have to teach yourself a lot.

What if you have a terrible teacher/teachers again? You will have to teach yourself a lot.

Yeah you are right. Most of the teachers in my college aren't that great..so I am used to teaching myself...it wasn't so bad for other subjects because I understood the material...but orgo, it was kind of hard....so I thinking of getting a tutor for orgo II. :)