Medical Should I continue post-bacc GPA Repair, look at an SMP, or consider taking a chance applying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question about reinvention GPAs and how its taken into account? Should I continue post-bacc GPA repair, look at an SMP, or take a chance applying (pending MCAT). I was doing GPA calculations and my stats aren’t budging as much anymore, but the trend is up.

Undergrad Stats:

Major- Switched from Biochem to Neurobio

Undergrad cGPA: 2.65

Undergrad sGPA: 2.1

Post-Bacc:
45 Units to get a pbGPA: 3.91
Committee Letter of Rec
MCAT: 491 (Have a retake in Sept)

Including postbacc:
cGPA: 2.81
sGPA: 2.7

ECs:

300 hrs of Volunteer Experience at a rural hospital

200 hrs of Clinical Experience

250hrs of Shadow Hours with the Department Head of Surgery at my local hospital w/ a letter of rec as well which includes patient contact time at clinics, OR, and hospital.

Took part in 3 medical missions to the same area in an underserved area .

My question is how MDs/DOs would focus on my post bacc stats compared to my undergrad?

How do schools look at reinvention GPAs and if I should look at an SMP or take a chance applying to DO/MDs that solely focus on pbGPAs (pending Retake MCAT).
Basically you shouldn't even be focusing on your overall GPAs anymore. The post-bac is supposed to prove that you are a changed student and can handle the rigors of upper-level courses and medical school. You have done well in your courses thus far and we usually suggest at least a full year of courses (full time) to prove you are changed.

Your problem is also your MCAT. No way is anyone gonna give you a shot if you can't break 500 (and you know this). You really gotta get that up to at least 505

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the quick response! My post-bacc was a formal program so I went through with the full year (45 units). The gpa overall was a 3.91. The MCAT I know is putrid, took it as the pandemic hit. Thus my retake in Sept, with more months to prep + prepare for the shortened exam.

Good. Make sure you are 100% ready this time around. Try and get a few practice tests within your range.

Status
Not open for further replies.