Should I delay or take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saleemrodman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NS FL average = 504 (based off of four tests)

AAMC FL 2 = 502 (125-123-127-127)

AAMC Sample = 71%

AAMC FL 3 = 509 (127-126-128-128)

GOAL SCORE = 510

AAMC FL 2 was pretty early...Sample was a week later...and FL 3 was a week after that.

Still need to take AAMC FL 1 and debating if I should take a third party FL. Test is in 17 days.

Members don't see this ad.

How long have you been studying?
Were you finished content review when you took those FLs?

I finished the content when I started taking those FLs, and have been studying for 3 months. I am getting more confident as I go along.

I know more things than I did when I started the FLs, and definitely have decreased my careless errors by a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done the section banks and qpacks?

I did the Biology, Chemistry, Physicd, and both CARS Q Packs

Did the SBs twice...once earlier in my studies (untimed), and a second time later on (timed).

I also did the Official Guide Qs, and got between 22-24/30 on each.

NS FL average = 504 (based off of four tests)

AAMC FL 2 = 502 (125-123-127-127)

AAMC Sample = 71%

AAMC FL 3 = 509 (127-126-128-128)

GOAL SCORE = 510

AAMC FL 2 was pretty early...Sample was a week later...and FL 3 was a week after that.

Still need to take AAMC FL 1 and debating if I should take a third party FL. Test is in 17 days.
Tips for B/B? Just started qpack but it didn’t go so hot. I avged a 503 on nsfl

Tips for B/B? Just started qpack but it didn’t go so hot. I avged a 503 on nsfl

Q packs are old MCAT material/recycled questions which seem to be more content based. Have you completed your content review?

I improved by getting very comfortable with understanding the experiments.

Last edited:
Q packs are old MCAT material/recycled questions which seem to be more content based. Have you completed your content review?
Ya I have! What worries me is most people say the qpack are easy. I got an 80% for chem qpack but looks like I may get a 60% for bio. I don’t think it’s more of a content issue but just answering questions about the passage I suck at. Like how do you improve that

Ya I have! What worries me is most people say the qpack are easy. I got an 80% for chem qpack but looks like I may get a 60% for bio. I don’t think it’s more of a content issue but just answering questions about the passage I suck at. Like how do you improve that

The reason why people say the Q packs are easier, is because they ask more straightforward content questions. Therefore, if you are struggling with them, I believe there might be content gaps, or perhaps timing issues? The new MCAT is structured more like the Section Banks, albeit not EVERY passage on the MCAT will be as difficult.

If I were you, I would do the question packs to identify weaknesses. They do not predict how you will do, since the test has changed.

If you need practice with passages, I would also check out UWorld. They have hundreds of passages you can do (free trial). I believe they give you like three weeks. Doing these pushed my C/P, B/B, and P/S scores.

In the end, don't let the percentages get to you. I know I always worried, and it just killed my confidence. Keep practicing passages, identifying why you missed questions, and then identify if it was a careless mistake, content gap, data misinterpretation, etc. Then work on your weaknesses, and you will see an improvement. When I got my first TARGET score, I was in disbelief. If I can do it, you can too :)