Should I do a Master's program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Left Skewed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got into a 2 year MS program focusing on stem cell research. The first year would be spent taking ~30 credits of laboratory and discussion classes, the second doing full-time research for 12 months. I would also gain teaching experience as well as some modicum of patient interaction time. While I do need a good research experience, I do also feel that my GPA needs some improvement, and that was partially the reason why I applied to this program. At the time I was not aware that medical schools did not weigh graduate GPA as equivalent to undergraduate; however, now that I am aware of this fact I am a bit conflicted as to whether I should accept the spot, or if I should continue my DIY postbacc and slowly work my GPA up that way.

My current GPA is 3.51--3.48 after college, brought up by a 4.0 thus far in my DIY Postbac taking 5 credits of upper-level science. Have not calculated my science GPA, though I would estimate it somewhere between 3.2 and 3.25 at the moment. I also finished my MCAT in January scoring a 519.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance, it is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.5/519, I don't think you need a master's (and that's not the right kind of master's program - you'd take an SMP). Just try to get your science GPA to a 3.3-3.4 in your post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 user
With a 3.5/519, I don't think you need a master's (and that's not the right kind of master's program - you'd take an SMP). Just try to get your science GPA to a 3.3-3.4 in your post-bacc.
I agree with this. Just take a year of good science courses and do well. The current MS program will NOT help you get into MD schools (but will for DO). Actually, you're fine for DO right now, but if you're boning for MD, then the sGPA needs to come up. Contrary to popular notion, that 519 MCAT score by itself will not save you for MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro @altblue

Thanks for your responses! Just calculated my science GPA and it's actually a 3.49. Wondering if I would still need to continue along the DIY postbac track given my MCAT score, or if I should be fine accepting my spot in this master's program. I'd like to do the MS if possible, as it would be a solid EC and research experience which I'm kind of in need of.

@Goro @altblue

Thanks for your responses! Just calculated my science GPA and it's actually a 3.49. Wondering if I would still need to continue along the DIY postbac track given my MCAT score, or if I should be fine accepting my spot in this master's program. I'd like to do the MS if possible, as it would be a solid EC and research experience which I'm kind of in need of.
With both GPAs > 3.4, and hopefully with an upward GPA trend, I think perhaps it's worth applying this cycle. You can always take courses this fall, and send them in for an update.

Invest in MSAR Online, and target schools whose median GPAs are closest to your own. Your best bet is with your state schools. Ideally, target schools where your GPAs are > their 10th %iles. Do not bother with OOS public schools. You must have some DO schools on your list as well.

Reactions: 1 user
With a 3.49 sGPA, you should be able to earn a 3.6+ GPA in your masters program. No risk of GPA declination imo.

Thee choice is ultimately yours.