Should I do Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThankfulOne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a 2 year medical student and I am not sure what field of medicine I wanted to go into.

But, I am thinking about psych. At first I was not interested but after being in school and founding out what the majority of students think about mental illness I think I should. Given the fact that my family has a history of mental illness I was sadden by what others had to say. I feel like I would have more empathy for these patients. But, would it frown upon if I put this information in my residency applications. Would it make me look bad since I myself would possible have a mental illness due to genetics.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily, its common. People want to become oncologists because their mom had breast cancer all the time, also. Be aware it is a worn, almost trite thing, though. Have lots of other more interesting reasons to want to be a psychiatrist and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Then why choose psychiatry based on the above reasoning?

Not trying to bust your nutsack, rather get you to explore more deeply on a chosen field.