Should I do something ultra constructive with my time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad in may 2006. I am kinda worried by the fact that I have a good bit of spare time lately. Does anyone else feel the same way? I heard recently that if you dont do something constructive in the year in between then it looks bad. I'm involved with work and some clubs but no academics or anything:) . I think that if I dont accomplish anything in that year off that it will look bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I deeeefinitely feel where you are coming from. i worked until end of november at a science camp but since them I have been unemployed!! busy with other things...but not nearly as busy as I was during undergrad and then working 60+ hours a week. I'm sure it doesnt look great that I have been unemployed, but I have been helping take care of my sick Grandpa and volunteering weekends here and there doing things I am interested in and trying to scrimp and save so my savings does not run out before I find a new job. I think you get so used to doing things all the time when you are in school and then when you finally have a somewhat 'normal' or slowed down pace of life you feel kind of useless, maybe even bored and find lots of ways to doubt yourself. I just keep my head up and know I am doing what my family needs me to do right now and tell myself this little break has been long overdue....and also...you are doing something constructive...trying to get into medical school!! : )

I don't think its bad, unless you do absolutely nothing. I went on a trip out of the countr and all of the physicians I spoke with suggested I do something that I WANT to do with my free time. As this will hopefully be my last "free" year.