should i do this research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sloh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found an opportunity to do research for a professor regarding psych. The research entails studying the development of infant social behavior. For med school, do you think this research would look good as an extracurricular or should I look for for a more bio-related research? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You forgot the most important element: Are you actually interested in the topic?

You forgot the most important element: Are you actually interested in the topic?

x2. Go where you have a supportive PI, you will learn the most, you will be able to be as independent as possible, and where you will be interested enough in the topic to make a substantial contribution.

The type of research is pretty much irrelevant to medical school admissions. Besides, that IS medically relevent research, so it's fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that most research will teach you valuable lessons about problem-solving, develop your analytical and reasoning skills and help improve your communication abilities.

Besides that, I think the field of psychology and social behavior are both very relevant to the field of medicine.

If it is something that sounds interesting to you, I think you should go for it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am very must interested in this type of research. I just wanted to make sure that this would also count as an extracurricular towards med school.

Yeah, I would go for it. They don't care what the research is on; it's more important that you can talk about it with passion in interviews and clearly understood the research. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to want to learn even more about the topic.

Heck, that sounds about as medically-related as you can get without being in an actual hospital. Beats the hell out of my plant genetics research in medical relevance :laugh:

I agree with previous posters about the type of research mattering little other than showing intellectual curiosity and depth as a student/person.