Should I drop and get a W or settle for a B/C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budhia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Last semester I asked advice about schedule and received lots of good advice. I went ahead and did Oghem and GChem both with labs and Sociology. I gots As on Soc and GChem and A- on OChem.

I thought that was not too bad so this semester I signed up for GChem, OChem and Physiology all three with labs. I am keeping up with GChem and OChem but Physiology is turning into a nightmare. In my opinion it is Physiology, Histology and Anatomy except the recommended text is not for all three. I have not taken Histology and Anatomy before. Though I am confident I can learn this material, it is requiring alot of time. I have 2 kids 2 and 4. I do not need this class my biology requirements are met (I have a BS and MS in Biology). I was just taking this class so I can get a letter.

Should I drop and get a W or should I risk get B or C at this point?

Please advice

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Last semester I asked advice about schedule and received lots of good advice. I went ahead and did Oghem and GChem both with labs and Sociology. I gots As on Soc and GChem and A- on OChem.

I thought that was not too bad so this semester I signed up for GChem, OChem and Physiology all three with labs. I am keeping up with GChem and OChem but Physiology is turning into a nightmare. In my opinion it is Physiology, Histology and Anatomy except the recommended text is not for all three. I have not taken Histology and Anatomy before. Though I am confident I can learn this material, it is requiring alot of time. I have 2 kids 2 and 4. I do not need this class my biology requirements are met (I have a BS and MS in Biology). I was just taking this class so I can get a letter.

Should I drop and get a W or should I risk get B or C at this point?

Please advice

I would stay the course if you think it's at all possible to get a B, or higher. A grade of W, looks fairly bad, but a grade of B is doable and acceptable. But, hey, don't settle for anything less than an A, if you can help it. Get a tutor if you must. It's only a few more months. See if you can get some help with the kids. Whether you need this class, or not, your performance matters. See if you can find a way to open up some more time. Shoot for the A, but if you get a B, don't stress over it.

If it seriously looks like you are going to tank the class, then drop it. Don't risk a poor grade if you are getting alarm signals everywhere. Trust your instinct. If you receive a W, however, you might have to explain it to adcomms, so be prepared for that. You should try to do everything possible to avoid having to settle for a W, in my opinion, especially since you state that you think that this material is within your reach.

I think it depends where you're sitting gpa-wise. Its easy to take some hits when you're sitting on a 3.7. Since I'm trying to pull my gpa up from the low 3.0's I have jumped ship--I've jumped ship before while making two B+'s and some A's because I wasn't sure what I could do to lock up A's in both my B+ classes--But I play conservative, so there you go. I agree it doesn't look good but we all have to make the initial screen to have the luxury of hindsight in any case. It's up to you OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same situation this semester. I had a physiology, OchemII, a Psyc inter-disc requirement, and developmental Bio. I am applying in June, so I need this to be a straight A semester. My dev bio class ended up much more time consuming and technically difficult than I had planned (I was warned by other students though, I should have listened). So instead of risking getting a B in there and probably hurting my grades in my other classes as well, I opted to take the W to ensure A's in my remaining classes.

Anyways, look at your past. If you have alot of W's and still have some time for that big finish, then maybe suck it up this semester. If you don't have alot of W's and are like me where it may hurt your other grades, then take the W and move on.

Thanks all! I agree we need to pass the first screen. I'll drop because this class can potentially bring all others down

A B is better than a W. A B will make only a fractional difference to your GPA, while a W sits there on your face like a festering wart for all to see.

Having said that, 3 lab courses is a lot in addition to raising two kids! I'm just impressed that you're taking GChem and OChem at the same time. Best of luck,
Theraball