Should I drop my MCAT.... again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiakTiDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was suppose to take my MCAT last August, and at the time my scores were on the lower 490 end so I decided to cancel before the deadline. I started studying on and off last semester and during the break. I manged to bring my score up, but it isn't exactly were I'd like it to be, and I'm scheduled to take it on the 28th.

I took two Kaplan FLs and got a 498 and a 499 respectively, I took one AAMC FL and got a 503.
I'm pretty sure I can raise the score higher as there are a few topics I need to refine and honestly just review the Psy/Soc content a bit more. But I don't think I can fit any more studying in my current schedule, my goal was to take it January so I could get it out of the way and focus on classes etc, but that's staring to fall apart and I think I need to consider for a 3rd gap year. :(

I'm honestly feeling pretty depressed at this point, and I'm looking for advice/opinions on what to do.
I'm considering dropping my exam, and just focus on my classes/volunteer work/ and research this sem. Graduate then study for my MCAT (No classes, no research, no excuse this time) and take it next year?
Two of my friends who are also taking it at the same time have been encouraging me to take it as "You won't know your actual score until I take it", but I'm a bit hesitant at this point to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give in to peer pressure if you do not feel ready for this exam. If it means you have to take some more time, then do it. There's no need to hit yourself over the head for not being able to take it. Time is on your side. Please don't give up, OP. You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
@sjcha Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have all the time to work on the application, but it's just quite disheartening to continue to not even get the chance to apply, and watching literally all your friends get in.

I've been in your shoes. Two years ago, I was to sit. Dad had a heart attack (survived) then 3 days later, a family member died. So, I fanned on the test and scheduled it for last summer. 4 days before the exam, I'd found my checking account fraudulently emptied (over $7k) and it was too late to reschedule. I was beyond bummed as I'd been studying hard for weeks, knew the material well (save for psych/soc).

In taking the AAMC scored a few days later (2 days pre-real deal), I did poorly partially because I'd already decided to void the exam if I sat and partially, because I was still in "how the heck do I pay my rent?!?!?"

So, I took the real thing and thought it was pretty "Easy". Easy = very, very doable, and up to the psych/soc part was going to score it. Then, "that" section came and in the end, I clicked the "void" button.

What really sucked and sucks is that I'd already submitted my app, day 1. All I needed was the tiny little score and I was complete.

BUT... here's the relevant part for you:

if that tiny little score wasn't what I'm capable of, then there's no shot for me (I'm older than everyone on here except for Life's...)...

By postponing it you set yourself up for success. Taking it when you're not "ready" is not going to do that.

Here's one other tidbit: no one ever (!!!) feels 100% ready, as in "shut the book, close the cover, I'm good to go" like you feel with college exams. That never happens with the MCAT. IF that is the feeling you're waiting for, it doesn't come.

Don't base your decision based on wanting that feeling; base it on practice scores from the AAMC only (!).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Ad2b
I do really hope your luck turns around, I've had my share of family conflicts as well, but more on the legal issue sides rather than death, so my condolence to you and your family!
Also I'm not sure if it's hearsay, but I thought Adcoms are able to see the fact that you "voided" your score?
Hence me trying to drop the exam all together before my test date.

And that is a good point, I've yet to meet anyone who was 100% ready for their MCAT haha. Though I'm quite confident if I just had 1 month to study for my MCAT by itself, I know I can score higher.

I do plan to move back home and my town isn't exactly filled with opportunities, so I'm not exactly sure what to do during both gap years, other than a job and to help pay for the application cycle and rent in the future. Not sure if I can land something "medically related" like everyone is telling me to do so.

Adcoms can see everything in the MCAT portal system: voided, no-shows, scored. So, if you don't show up, it will appear as a no-show and they can see that too.

In a perfect world: we all win the lottery, rent is no issue, life hands us no bad-cards and we get to become physicians. Listen to your gut and make solid decisions for yourself. Working >>> than not working.

"What'd you do during your gap year?"

"eh, fished, played CoD, ummm, oh, prepped for interviews. ya, dat."

OR

"I worked a full time job while trying to make sure I was saving enough money to help offset application fees, expenses related to hopeful interviews, etc."

Doesn't matter what you do really, it matters that you did. :) If you CAN do something medically related, awesome! If not, it's more important to do something constructive (in my opinion which is a freebie on an internet site ;) )

Please don't feel sorry for me. To me, it seems like a test: "How bad do I want to do this?"

I took almost 6 months off from anything med school related; walked away, worked... but that first day my boss laughed and said, "what the heck does that mean?"

It was tryptophan, threonine, and phenylalanine drawn in amino acid form with all the appropriate charges, bonds, etc.

I knew. What *I* need to do is just "do it" and let the chips fall where they may - life be damned anyway.

@Ad2b, Sorry that was poorly worded on my part, I meant to say to cancel the exam all together via the AAMC site before test day. That wouldn't show up correct?

and in a way I feel the same, for me it's not a matter of if I get into Medical school, more so when will I get into medical school. (hopefully that doesn't come off arrogant).

Thank you for sharing your story, and for the pieces of advice. I feel a bit more comfortable with my decision, Cheers!

It depends on when your last day to cancel is. If your last day to reschedule for the 28th is still valid, then no, it won't show up.

But rather than cancel and lose all your $$ why not reschedule instead?

I had someone a few years older than me (MS2) tell me: "You're smart and I've really never heard of anyone NOT getting into med school if they really wanted to. Because the desire pushes everyone to do what they must, even if that path is varied."

You'll get there (confidence is not arrogance; arrogance is not having stats to back up a statement).

Take the test when you're ready.

I've been in your shoes. Two years ago, I was to sit. Dad had a heart attack (survived) then 3 days later, a family member died. So, I fanned on the test and scheduled it for last summer. 4 days before the exam, I'd found my checking account fraudulently emptied (over $7k) and it was too late to reschedule. I was beyond bummed as I'd been studying hard for weeks, knew the material well (save for psych/soc).

In taking the AAMC scored a few days later (2 days pre-real deal), I did poorly partially because I'd already decided to void the exam if I sat and partially, because I was still in "how the heck do I pay my rent?!?!?"

So, I took the real thing and thought it was pretty "Easy". Easy = very, very doable, and up to the psych/soc part was going to score it. Then, "that" section came and in the end, I clicked the "void" button.

What really sucked and sucks is that I'd already submitted my app, day 1. All I needed was the tiny little score and I was complete.

BUT... here's the relevant part for you:

if that tiny little score wasn't what I'm capable of, then there's no shot for me (I'm older than everyone on here except for Life's...)...

By postponing it you set yourself up for success. Taking it when you're not "ready" is not going to do that.

Here's one other tidbit: no one ever (!!!) feels 100% ready, as in "shut the book, close the cover, I'm good to go" like you feel with college exams. That never happens with the MCAT. IF that is the feeling you're waiting for, it doesn't come.

Don't base your decision based on wanting that feeling; base it on practice scores from the AAMC only (!).

First and foremost, I am really sorry to hear of life's timing when it came to your MCAT. Voiding was by far the wisest move and it's great that you are willing to share your story for others to benefit from. People need to know that focus is essential, and sometimes life takes that away. The most notable story I can add involves a student from years past who had their car stolen the day before the MCAT and took the test anyway. They did great on the first section, good on the second, and bombed the third as their focus deteriorated as the day wore on. In the end, it was a mistake for them to take that MCAT.

Have to completely concur that it is best to take the MCAT only when prepared and ready. But as you say, no one ever feels ready. Actually, let me amend that. There are people who feel ready, but they are almost always people who have no idea what's coming on test day. These are people who make thousands of flashcards, do a couple books of stand-alone questions (no passages), take a couple exams, and then think they are ready. They are not. When you reach a state of "I've studied as much as my body can take and I just want to be done with this exam", then you are as ready as you need to be. That's the perfect mindset for the exam.

As you also say, the exam really is not that hard (if you have the right perspective). There will be a few crazy passages, but overall most things are straight forward with questions that reward the ability to think your way through information, some of which may feel unfamiliar. A good strategy coupled with a firm knowledge (and trust in that knowledge) of the basics will carry you through this exam.

Thanks for posting your messages; they are always so helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on when your last day to cancel is. If your last day to reschedule for the 28th is still valid, then no, it won't show up.

But rather than cancel and lose all your $$ why not reschedule instead?

I had someone a few years older than me (MS2) tell me: "You're smart and I've really never heard of anyone NOT getting into med school if they really wanted to. Because the desire pushes everyone to do what they must, even if that path is varied."

You'll get there (confidence is not arrogance; arrogance is not having stats to back up a statement).

I've considered that, and I really want to to save the money and reschedule, but my problem is time. I can't really fit studying for the MCAT this semester and summer (got an abroad internship and I'm ecstatic). I also got a notification from one of my professors willing to take me as a mentee for his research on bacterial parthenogenesis, which I'm also stoked for as I've been seeking research experience for a while, and have been shut out on multiple occasions, so it's nice that all the no's finally led me to a yes haha. On top of that I have volunteering and club activities.

But don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for all the opportunists that I'm getting, but it is hindering other things that I could be doing (like MCAT studying) though I do believe it's best to apply when your application is at it's peak.

First and foremost, I am really sorry to hear of life's timing when it came to your MCAT. Voiding was by far the wisest move and it's great that you are willing to share your story for others to benefit from. People need to know that focus is essential, and sometimes life takes that away. The most notable story I can add involves a student from years past who had their car stolen the day before the MCAT and took the test anyway. They did great on the first section, good on the second, and bombed the third as their focus deteriorated as the day wore on. In the end, it was a mistake for them to take that MCAT.

Have to completely concur that it is best to take the MCAT only when prepared and ready. But as you say, no one ever feels ready. Actually, let me amend that. There are people who feel ready, but they are almost always people who have no idea what's coming on test day. These are people who make thousands of flashcards, do a couple books of stand-alone questions (no passages), take a couple exams, and then think they are ready. They are not. When you reach a state of "I've studied as much as my body can take and I just want to be done with this exam", then you are as ready as you need to be. That's the perfect mindset for the exam.

As you also say, the exam really is not that hard (if you have the right perspective). There will be a few crazy passages, but overall most things are straight forward with questions that reward the ability to think your way through information, some of which may feel unfamiliar. A good strategy coupled with a firm knowledge (and trust in that knowledge) of the basics will carry you through this exam.

Thanks for posting your messages; they are always so helpful.

Thanks for the kind words! It just gets a bit overwhelming sometimes when see everyone with such high scores or people around you getting those acceptances and moving on, I mean good for them! But one can't help when will that happen for me?

Very good point as well, the exam is testing your critical thinking, and attempting to memorize everything probably won't get you far, though that's not to say you do need a firm foundation to be able to apply that onto the questions.

PS: random promo, but I thoroughly enjoyed your company's books for the physical science review, as someone who hasn't done or have a strong grasp for Gen Chem/Phys I found them to be quite detailed, which helped me bump my score for that section~