Should I even apply?

Started by HT2999
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HT2999

Full Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Background: Up to the spring of 2016, my concentration was athletic training, but now I have decided that I want to do physical therapy (I know I'm late deciding). I am a kinesiology major with an emphasis in pre-health and have taken majority kinesiology classes with a prerequisite of 3.89. However I have not taken Chem I, Chem II, Physics I, Physics II, or an upper division psychology. I will being taking these classes through the next 2 semesters, but I plan on applying to DPT programs in the early fall of 2016, as I will be graduating in the spring of 2017. I plan on taking my GRE in August. I have currently done 94 out-patient hours, but not any in-patient hours (hoping to do some before applications are due). As for extracurriculars, I am a student-athlete who has done countless volunteer hours, as well as 100+ athletic training hours.

So what I am asking is: should I bother applying to schools this cycle or with until 2017 to apply to make myself more competitive? Should I bother when I still have prerequisite classes I haven't taken even though I have a decent GPA? I would like to stay in California so I am not sure if I would be able to get into any programs here.

Any advice is willingly accepted!
 
Background: Up to the spring of 2016, my concentration was athletic training, but now I have decided that I want to do physical therapy (I know I'm late deciding). I am a kinesiology major with an emphasis in pre-health and have taken majority kinesiology classes with a prerequisite of 3.89. However I have not taken Chem I, Chem II, Physics I, Physics II, or an upper division psychology. I will being taking these classes through the next 2 semesters, but I plan on applying to DPT programs in the early fall of 2016, as I will be graduating in the spring of 2017. I plan on taking my GRE in August. I have currently done 94 out-patient hours, but not any in-patient hours (hoping to do some before applications are due). As for extracurriculars, I am a student-athlete who has done countless volunteer hours, as well as 100+ athletic training hours.

So what I am asking is: should I bother applying to schools this cycle or with until 2017 to apply to make myself more competitive? Should I bother when I still have prerequisite classes I haven't taken even though I have a decent GPA? I would like to stay in California so I am not sure if I would be able to get into any programs here.

Any advice is willingly accepted!

Look at the policies of the programs you are interested in. Many have a limit of how many outstanding pre Req classes you can have. (I saw a bunch with a limit of 2) maybe you can get a pre Req or two done in the remaining summer and/or some done in the fall and be under the limit for your schools?