Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TYinadvance

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I’m aware it’s extremely competitive to get into MD/PhD programs so I’m worried that I have no chance considering my grades aren’t too hot. Figured I should reach out for all the advice I can get.

UG: B.S in Molecular Biology and Chemistry with a 3.4 GPA
Currently getting my Master’s in Biotechnology: GPA 3.6
Volunteered abroad in a pediatric hospital as well as a Labor/Delivery unit in college
Worked in my undergrad research group for 3 years (Basic research): 1 Nature paper with 1 under review, multiple presentations and received Best thesis
Joined another lab in my masters for about 2 years (Translational with a heavy focus in Bioinformatics): 1 paper and a presentation at a national conference
Lead engineer in a start up
Currently doing a drug discovery internship at a pharmaceutical company (Reverse Translational)
Getting my EMT certification now for more patient hours/exposure
Planning on taking the MCAT soon

Thanks in advance for any help
 
I don't think the GPA is doing you any favors, research looks good, do you have any shadowing? You need enough clinical hours to answer why the MD in a convincing way but research is still the most important factor. I'm not sure how a 3.6 in a master's would look, in normal MD admissions they tend not to look at non-SMP GPAs closely, but often because they are inflated.

It is really hard to say anything without an MCAT. A 510 vs a 520 would likely lead to different recommendations.
 
I don't think the GPA is doing you any favors, research looks good, do you have any shadowing? You need enough clinical hours to answer why the MD in a convincing way but research is still the most important factor. I'm not sure how a 3.6 in a master's would look, in normal MD admissions they tend not to look at non-SMP GPAs closely, but often because they are inflated.

It is really hard to say anything without an MCAT. A 510 vs a 520 would likely lead to different recommendations.
I've done a lot of shadowing so I think I could answer the why MD question easily but I understand what you're saying. Once I take the MCAT hopefully I'll have a better idea
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No I was 2nd for both

Still pretty impressive if you’re 2nd author in Nature, provided we are talking the literal journal “Nature” and not a Scientific Reports article that, when posted on Facebook, says “nature.com” on the thumbnail, which makes a bunch of rubes say “Zomg you published in NATURE??????!!!”

Your GPA isn’t great but I know some people at least at a mid tier MD PhD with similar, so probably not a deal-breaker if everything else is strong
 
You should be fine. Submit ASAP, make sure your transcripts are sent to AMCAS, and get your LORs to upload/sent to AMCAS. While your pubs will carry you, your MCAT will truly define what group of MSTPs/MDPhD programs you will be competitive... There are just a handful of programs who won't be considering you but .... PM me if you want to discuss more openly.