SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Should I Even Apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by MIkeNB, Jun 6, 2008.

1. MIkeNB

MIkeNB 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Hey guys, I am planning to apply to California schools and some other schools around the country. I have a really bad start in college and here is my status:

2.85cum GPA >_<
    3.0 science GPA

Hospital volunteer experience (around a year)
    Pharmacy clerk experience (10 months)
    Tech certification (did not work yet)
    Officer: pharmacy coordinator for a free clinic
    research experience (one semester so far)
    35 hours shadowing ER doctor (for medicine knowledge)
    Dean's list

You can see a great increase in my GPA for the past few semesters but my last one killed it since i overwhelmed myself with hard classes. Have you guys ever heard of any schools that will accept students with my status but shows great passion for pharmacy?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE! Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    People definitely get accepted with similar gpas, but you will be up against other students who have higher gpas. Have you taken the PCAT?
  4. 52PharmD

52PharmD 2+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Take PCAT, apply out of state schools

I will say hopeless for CA schools, sorry:oops:
  5. Drug Doc

Drug Doc 2+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2008
    like the others said, take the pcat. along with the upward trend in your grades (bummer on the last semester), getting a high score here will be a good way to help redeem yourself. i would also recommend continuing in your research lab. You should definitely apply out of state and I say you should go ahead and shoot for CA too cause people with your stats have done it before. You never know right? The passion thing is kind of cliche unfortunately, cause as you know, the other gagillion peeps applying are probably just as passionate. What will separate you from them is how well you can communicate this passion to admissions on paper. So make sure you write an awesome ps. Good luck.
  6. MIkeNB

MIkeNB 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2008
    yes I am planning to take the PCAT on August 23 which is kinda late. I am currently working on my personal statement and hopefully I will do well on both. If anyone have Tips or would like to share application experience with us, it would be great. :D
  7. s1lver

s1lver ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2007
    What kind of stats CA schools are usually looking for - in-state applicants, 3.8+GPA, 90+PCAT, 2+yrs experience, LoRs from Bill Gates and the President, etc.?
  8. RxShazzie

RxShazzie 7+ Year Member

Jul 30, 2007
    i say take the pcat. you can still try for CA school but don't get your hopes up for the big ones. you still have a chance! and you never know, your personal statement might get you that interview!
  9. jyw003

jyw003 just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP 10+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2007
    San Francisco
    it is not hopeless...make yourself standout in your seem well equiped with them your passion, show them your desire to be a pharm....
  10. mrblah

mrblah 2+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2008
    To say how a school will weigh your gpa against other applicants is pure speculation because you don't know how competitive this application cycle is going to be, or what the schools will be looking at this year. Each school is different.

However, I do want to say that people with high gpa's/pcat scores have a better chance of getting a interview than people with borderline gpa's/pcat scores. Also with regards to interviews, how early you are offered a interview spot will greatly affect your chances of getting accepted or rejected, that is why people say apply early (even if the school isn't rolling admissions), is so you can get first dibs at interview dates, and guess who gets those spots first (people who apply first w/ competitive gpa's). The longer you procrastinate, the more people who apply (who may have better gpa's than you), and your chances of getting a interview just got worse. Schools will then score you right after your interview, and wait til the interview dates are over before giving out acceptance/rejection letters. However, MANY schools will offer spots right away to the people who shine during the interview process (i.e. within one to two weeks), and again that lowers the availability of seats (hence chances of getting accepted) to those waiting to get interviewed.

If the OP can score a interview then he is on pretty much equal footing with the people with high gpa's. The interview is where a person with a 3.0 gpa can really shine, and where a person with a 4.0 gpa can royally screw up.

Here is the thing with Cali schools. Many don't look at pcat scores, and they focus purely on your gpa when they are giving out interview spots. That is why it is extremely hard for a person with a 3.0 gpa to get into a cali school. Its not that they don't have a chance, its just really slim for them to score a interview spot in the first place. No interview, means no chance of getting accepted. Sure you hear about the guy with a 3.0 gpa that got in, but his EC's/work experience/LOR are spectacular that schools can't ignore that applicant.

To the OP: apply at a few cali schools, but to maximize your chances you will definitely have to look at out of state schools, which means you will have to take the pcat, so you will be not only eligible to apply to those schools that require it, but it gives them something else to look at when they are deciding to give you that interview spot. Once you get that interview, you can blow them away with your EC and work experience.
    To everybody else: do the best you can to sell yourself on paper and in the interview. If you get a interview, it means your gpa/pcat is good enough. If you don't get a interview, you will know what to work on next year. If you get a interview, and you get rejected, it means you screwed up your interview, and usually has nothing to do with your grades.

Good luck to those applying this year.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  11. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student 5+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2007
    don't limit yourself to specific schools, yes it can be done.

your best bet- look for brand new schools that you would be part of their first class...
  12. jyw003

jyw003 just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP 10+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2007
    San Francisco
  13. cleary

cleary 2+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2008
  14. SnDividedbyn

SnDividedbyn 2+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Then it's meant that they decided early as well? :confused:
    I applied for a year early but was treated as late. :(

Hey is the app fee tax deductible?
  15. MIkeNB

MIkeNB 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2008
    It does not make sense if u applied a year early because the cycle only open for half a year at most. Thanks for your help guys. Any heads up on studying for PCAT? I was planning to study for 2 months and hopefully do well on the pcat but now i realize how hard the test really is.
  16. MIkeNB

MIkeNB 2+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2008
    B U M P