Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in desperate need of genuine advise.
I am taking my DAT on 20th August and I will submit my application (TMDSAS) hopefully by the end of this week. I am ready to mail my LORs and Transcripts....
Cum GPA is 3.37
Non Science is 3.48
Science: 3.3
I have 8 Ws in my transcript, 4 Cs and 1 F
I did my basic sciences in CC. I did shadowing, research and worked through out my college career. I will graduate in Dec 2009 with B.S. in Biology.

Am I too late for this application cycle? Should I take post bach or masters classes and apply next year?

I am freaking out!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

see how ur scores turn out in august and decide accordingly....if u get 20 or greater i think u have a good chance even applying at the end of august....just my 2 cents

Think of it this way. Schools are looking for candidates that will be able to handle heavy science load during the D school and have proven they are really know why they want to be dentists. Can you show it in your application...
Your transcript may not be your strong point, GPA alone will be ok but so many W makes it suspicious that you will not be able to succeed in D school. You will need some other parts of your application to be exceptionally strong to outweight transcript numbers. Make sure your CC science courses are transferable and will be counted. Many schools do not like pre-req to be taken at CC and won't count them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as long as you do well on the DAT, you'll still have a decent shot. Your GPA is only somewhat lower than the accepted GPA, 3.4-3.5, so you need a slightly higher than average DAT, average accepted is 19AA. With those C's and an F on your transcripts and still having that high of a GPA it means you must have done very well in your other classes, and a few slip ups that can (hopefully) be explained won't hurt you very badly. The W's are more than I'd like to see, but I had 7, and it never came up at any of my interviews.

As far as CC's, some schools don't like them as much, a handful won't take them, but many of the schools that say they won't take them are willing to bend their rules. I was accepted to a school that said they took no cc credit after taking all of my pre-reqs at a CC. Overall, it's not that big of a deal at most school.

You've still got another week for your application to be considered early, and you can submit your app before you take the DAT.

Sit down and research your opportunity, call schools you're interested in and ask them. Good luck, you're really not as bad off as you might think!

I am taking my DAT on 20th August and I will submit my application (TMDSAS) hopefully by the end of this week. I am ready to mail my LORs and Transcripts....Cum GPA is 3.37--Non Science is 3.48--Science: 3.3
I have 8 Ws in my transcript, 4 Cs and 1 F-I did my basic sciences in CC. I did shadowing, research and worked through out my college career. I will graduate in Dec 2009 with B.S. in Biology.

Since TX schools will not look at your application without the DAT scores why the rush to submit your application? Why not wait until you have some definitive scores to, at least, see how competitive your application will be, unless you believe a transcript that looks like an alphabet soup will be the main attraction.

I was accepted to a school that said they took no cc credit after taking all of my pre-reqs at a CC. Overall, it's not that big of a deal at most school.

You were accepted at 3 schools- Why are you applying for the 2010 cycle?

Last edited:
I am taking my DAT on 20th August and I will submit my application (TMDSAS) hopefully by the end of this week. I am ready to mail my LORs and Transcripts....
Cum GPA is 3.37
Non Science is 3.48
Science: 3.3
I have 8 Ws in my transcript, 4 Cs and 1 F
I did my basic sciences in CC. I did shadowing, research and worked through out my college career. I will graduate in Dec 2009 with B.S. in Biology.

Am I too late for this application cycle? Should I take post bach or masters classes and apply next year?

I am freaking out!
Thank you

Hey dont freak out.. just do really well on the DAT (21 or above). you could apply the last day and still got a shot!

I don't think I said I was re-applying - just sharing my experience doc. I haven't switched to dental student yet on my status yet because I'm not starting at Pitt until next month. Go Panthers!

Your profile connection is to the 2010 cycle.

Your profile connection is to the 2010 cycle.

Ah, I see your confusion. PDizzle automatically updates everyone's profile to be the same year as it currently is, but doesn't count them in the numbers for the current application cycle. I guess it's so the color schemes look the same on everyone. But there's always a link at the bottom which denotes that this person also has a pre-dents profile from a previous cycle, and I have my status set there for all of the pages as attending Pitt.

I guess some people stop linking to their predents after they start school, but people keep asking me my stats, so it's rather handy.

Ah, I see your confusion. PDizzle automatically updates everyone's profile to be the same year as it currently is, but doesn't count them in the numbers for the current application cycle. I guess it's so the color schemes look the same on everyone. But there's always a link at the bottom which denotes that this person also has a pre-dents profile from a previous cycle, and I have my status set there for all of the pages as attending Pitt.

Stranger things have been known to happen, like not attending because one did not get into their first choice.