Should I even bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AADSAS recently calculated my GPA's and I am definitely disappointed. I have a 3.06 BCP/Science GPA and a 3.25 overall GPA. I have an upward trend because I messed up early on while I was in Community College and have been trying to repair it since. I was also affected by Hurricane Sandy which messed up one of my semesters big time. I have a lot of hours logged in shadowing/volunteering/work experience and I wrote a great personal statement explaining my situation. I have yet to take the DAT but am studying hard and plan on taking it late August/early September. I am a New York resident. Theres also a couple classes I have to take in the Fall semester still. I really would hate to have to do an SMP program, any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would really focus on this fall semester and try and bring that GPA up as much as possible. Then, utilize the spring to study for the DAT. That way you are applying early in 2015 and you can hopefully have a higher gpa and a solid DAT score.

Honestly, you're really pushing it. Your DAT is going to be late, and your grades are below average. I think you still have some chance, but this is far from ideal. Your chances this cycle are slim IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on getting your app together and killing the DAT. You'll have a shot if you apply broadly.

I hope your PS does not just focus on your CC/undergrad downfall. Other than that, focus on your sGPA and DAT.

You guys really don't think I have chance if I apply broadly and nail the DAT? I really don't want to apply next cycle (I am getting older and just want to start my career already). No, I did not focus on my CC downfall in my PS.

You guys really don't think I have chance if I apply broadly and nail the DAT? I really don't want to apply next cycle (I am getting older and just want to start my career already). No, I did not focus on my CC downfall in my PS.
Sure you have a chance. It's been done many times before. But far more often than not, it is not done.

And I thought I wouldn't necessarily be late if I submitted already?

Well schools will have a hard time considering you as a candidate with a low GPA and no DAT score. With that being said, it isn't impossible. You would need a stelar DAT and even then it would be hard.

If I don't get in, would it be a bad idea to apply to an MPH program? I am feeling very lost.

Your application is not considered complete unless there is a DAT score. They will not look at your application until it is complete.

Reactions: 1 user
If I don't get in, would it be a bad idea to apply to an MPH program? I am feeling very lost.
A MPH program wouldn't be the best idea to get into dental school. A masters program in a biological field, or maybe one geared towards dental school, would be your best bet.

AADSAS recently calculated my GPA's and I am definitely disappointed. I have a 3.06 BCP/Science GPA and a 3.25 overall GPA. I have an upward trend because I messed up early on while I was in Community College and have been trying to repair it since. I was also affected by Hurricane Sandy which messed up one of my semesters big time. I have a lot of hours logged in shadowing/volunteering/work experience and I wrote a great personal statement explaining my situation. I have yet to take the DAT but am studying hard and plan on taking it late August/early September. I am a New York resident. Theres also a couple classes I have to take in the Fall semester still. I really would hate to have to do an SMP program, any advice is appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you, literally.

But my sci GPA is 3.1 and 3.19 GPA.
I'm sched to take dat in August .

I already applied.

If dentistry is really what you want, and you got what it takes then do it or just wait.

I'm also a ny resident, a cuny student.

Good luck, let me know what schools you apply to.... Just to compare our stats.

Posted using SDN Mobile

August is not late.

But be sure to check each individual schools cut off date for applications.

Lateness begins in mid September.

Posted using SDN Mobile