Should I even bother applying?

Started by mdmaybe1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdmaybe1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 3.0 BCPM, ~3.2 Cum. from a renowned undergrad. I spent the last year doing a post-bacc and got a 3.73 in 24 credits of undergrad upper level science classes through another top-notch school. I am waiting on my MCAT to come back and if I get a good score (at least 30s), then should I just say what the hell and submit my amcas to see if I'll hit any schools? Also, I am doing the BU MAMS program this coming school year. I know that a lot of people in that program advise waiting til after the completion of the program to apply, but I'm now at a point where I'm just itching to start med school already.

I know my GPA is low, but will med school adcoms see that I'm in an SMP and give me a chance this application cycle? I guess I've been clinging onto those inspirational I-had-a-low-gpa-and-still-got-in stories and hope that it'll happen to me. But then, if I do get in this cycle, that means that I would've wasted 50k on the BU program....grr. Should I apply this cycle? It couldn't really hurt...or should I just wait until I know I'm more competitive after this year? That's a wholllllle extra year though...🙂
 
If you get 35+ on your mcat and not from California, then you would have a chance at your state schoo.
 
Also, I am doing the BU MAMS program this coming school year. I know that a lot of people in that program advise waiting til after the completion of the program to apply, but I'm now at a point where I'm just itching to start med school already.

I know my GPA is low, but will med school adcoms see that I'm in an SMP and give me a chance this application cycle?

My not on an ADCOM advice: Ask schools not to auto-reject you until they get your first semester scores from the BU program and you should have a chance. Not a great chance, but a chance none the less. If you apply to DO schools that chance gets better.