Should I even bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmaybe1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I have a 3.0 BCPM, ~3.2 Cum. from a renowned undergrad. I spent the last year doing a post-bacc and got a 3.73 in 24 credits of undergrad upper level science classes through another top-notch school. I am waiting on my MCAT to come back and if I get a good score (at least 30s), then should I just say what the hell and submit my amcas to see if I'll hit any schools? Also, I am doing the BU MAMS program this coming school year. I know that a lot of people in that program advise waiting til after the completion of the program to apply, but I'm now at a point where I'm just itching to start med school already.

I know my GPA is low, but will med school adcoms see that I'm in an SMP and give me a chance this application cycle? I guess I've been clinging onto those inspirational I-had-a-low-gpa-and-still-got-in stories and hope that it'll happen to me. But then, if I do get in this cycle, that means that I would've wasted 50k on the BU program....grr. Should I apply this cycle? It couldn't really hurt...or should I just wait until I know I'm more competitive after this year? That's a wholllllle extra year though...:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you get 35+ on your mcat and not from California, then you would have a chance at your state schoo.

Also, I am doing the BU MAMS program this coming school year. I know that a lot of people in that program advise waiting til after the completion of the program to apply, but I'm now at a point where I'm just itching to start med school already.

I know my GPA is low, but will med school adcoms see that I'm in an SMP and give me a chance this application cycle?

My not on an ADCOM advice: Ask schools not to auto-reject you until they get your first semester scores from the BU program and you should have a chance. Not a great chance, but a chance none the less. If you apply to DO schools that chance gets better.