should i even bother at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vitruvian Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all

so i'm re-applying for the third year, and after two years of writing essays, letters of interest, update letters, meeting with advisors, admissions deans, recommenders, etc., etc., i sort of just ran out of steam late last year after completing most of my secondaries. whatever steam i had left dissipated after i was accepted to a caribbean school in november. after getting no interview offers so far (but only one rejection... odd), i'm feeling guilty that i didn't give it my all this time through and i'm a little apprehensive about going to a foreign med school. the one secondary i didn't complete has a deadline of february 15th, and i was wondering, do any of you think it would even be worth it to send it out at this time? how do i explain that i got their secondary in just before the deadline? it's not exactly sending them a message that they are high on my list. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I did the "last minute secondary thing" for two schools... They both cashed my check and rejected me right away - without even waiting for my file to be complete (they didn't even send me the "you are complete" email. They just rejected me!) :mad:

So, based on my experience, it's pointless. This being said, you have nothing to lose except your check. And, I'm sure you have already spend thousands of $$ on this process... So, what is another check on top of everything else? The thing is, if you don't send in the secondary, you might regret it later on. You know, spend the rest of your life wondering if you would have gotten into a US school if you had sent that secondary...

BTW, I know how you feel about going to a foreign school. I felt the same way last year and, after doing a lot of thinking, I decided not to go. That's why I'm re-applying to US schools this year. However, I had a friend who was in the same position and he ended up going to Ross. He seems very happy now and satisfied with the school. :)

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck! :luck:

thanks for your input, kikat. i think i am going to submit this secondary just for peace of mind... and the slim chance to get into the school, of course. since they have a pretty open-ended essay, i think for this, the 40th and last secondary i'll ever have to complete, i'm just going to write everything that i've been afraid to write in other secondaries because i was afraid of how i might come off. it'll be therapeutic, at the very least. 100 dollars for that and peace of mind. i guess that new digital camera i want will have to wait.

i recognize your name from a university of maryland thread i read a little while ago. have you heard anything from them yet? i'm kind of in the same boat as you with them. they're my top choice, but i haven't heard a peep from them. i sent them an loi this past monday, so we'll see if that does anything. thanks again!

Hi there,

I think you made the right decision... Just for your peace of mind! :) And, I agree, put everything you want in the essay. You have nothing to lose and it actually worked for me once. For one school, i wrote an essay that I wasn't really sure about. And, I got an interview with them almost right away. Thank God! ;)

Anyway. Yeah, I'm still waiting on UMD... Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best!! :luck: