should i even bother trying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surrah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just finished my freshman year and first semester i had a 3.23...but this second semester i did terrible! i had a lot of issues with my room mate and ended up with a gpa of 2.06 and will have to retake general bio 2. my cum gpa right now is a 2.6. i really want to go to pharmacy school after finishing my pre reqs but is it even realistic to pursue it?
should i now go to a community college to save money?
also after you finish your pre reqs, the pcat dates are in june, aug, oct, and january and since i can't take them without organic do students have to take off a year while applying to pharmacy school so pcat scores can be scored and sent, and sometimes retaken?
sorry for all the questions!!! but thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for starters I would retake the classes you made poor grades in last semester. If you can get your GPA back to where it was then your chances will be very realistic. You can take the PCAT without organic, but it would definitely be tougher. If you do a search there are a lot of threads discussing 4-year college courses vs. Community college classes.

It's still early, you have alot of time to do good in your classes and raise your GPA. When you get to where I'm at with over 200 credit hours then you start worrying for now just stay focused and raised that GPA back up!

HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for starters I would retake the classes you made poor grades in last semester. If you can get your GPA back to where it was then your chances will be very realistic. You can take the PCAT without organic, but it would definitely be tougher. If you do a search there are a lot of threads discussing 4-year college courses vs. Community college classes.

take the PCAT without Ochem? dude, that's like 40% of the chemistry section... I wouldn't recommend doing that, unless your strategy is to put down "C" for every o-chem question!

p.s. You're too early into the game to give up, most students have a very up and down academic career, try to honestly evaluate your personal short-comings and try harder your sophomore year, I did unbelievably poorly my first 2 years and I got my stuff together, it's definitely doable!

i just finished my freshman year and first semester i had a 3.23...but this second semester i did terrible! i had a lot of issues with my room mate and ended up with a gpa of 2.06 and will have to retake general bio 2. my cum gpa right now is a 2.6. i really want to go to pharmacy school after finishing my pre reqs but is it even realistic to pursue it?
also after you finish your pre reqs, the pcat dates are in june, aug, oct, and january and since i can't take them without organic do students have to take off a year while applying to pharmacy school so pcat scores can be scored and sent, and sometimes retaken?

1. It's realistic but you need to get past 3.0 overall or at least show a great upward trend in grade improvement.

2. Choosing a CC depends on your finances. Just make sure that your CC isn't some vocational training school.

3. Not really. Many students take the October PCAT during the admission cycle they are applying to if not earlier. The scores apply if you get them in soon enough and you don't have to wait an additional cycle to apply. However, you need at least the material in organic chemistry I for the exam. Whether that information comes from summer self-study or a fall semester class is your choice.

Don't worry about doin terrible... just like the above postings said, its still early, you have a good amount of time to get ur grades up. At the end of my freshman year my cum gpa was a whoppin 2.1. I retook some classes, and ended my senior year with a 3.2. It was hard to get my grades back up, but my GPA kept rising every semester, which looks great on your app. I applied to 7 schools got interviews for 4 and so far got accepted to 2 schools. So don't give up and good luck! if you have any questions feel free to PM me.