Should I even consider Md-PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilentAnon_404

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 4th year at UCD (CA - ORM; first-gen college student and low SES). I'm almost done with my bachelors in Biochem. I had a question about whether or not I should consider Md-PhD.

My GPA is not that good, currently 3.575. But I have an uptrend (GPA was 3.4 freshmen year and only increasing - senior year I have only received A's).

I am pretty confident I can get A/A- in my remaining few classes and finish my UG with a 3.6. I will have 1900 hours of molecular biology and biochemistry research (3 poster presentations at various conferences, 1 talk) with what I expect to be a very strong LOR. I am working towards getting a publication, but it may not happen.

I also have 160 hours of group tutoring and ~50 hours of mentoring a freshmen. I recently started doing hospice clinical volunteering. Right now I have only 20 hours, but I will be taking 2 gap years to continue doing it and focus on the MCAT.

I still have yet to take the MCAT. About how much would I need on the MCAT to have a good shot at Md-PhD programs? Or should I even consider it, considering my GPA isn't high?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What does your PI say?
I haven't talked to him directly about the GPA. I told him recently however that I am planning on Md-PhD and his response was "good to know." I could ask him directly as well I guess.