Should I even consider pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoaliz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently considered a Junior at my local university, My major was English Lit. I haven't attended school since 2011 my GPA was at a 3.2. I moved to another state for personal reasons. I foolishly didn't drop my classes and ended up failing that semester. To say the least I completely tanked four classes, two being pre pharmacy requisites, consequently my GPA is now really low. I picked up a pharmacy job at a grocery store in 2012 and have now been a pharmacy technician for about 3 yrs. I moved back to my original state and now work at a state psychiatric hospital pharmacy. I've done a lot of growing up and I would LOVE to do pre pharmacy but do I have any kind of a chance at pharmacy school after failing those classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake those classes, get good grades in them, complete a degree, smash the PCAT (or not, depending on if the school you want to go to requires the PCAT), apply broadly, then get into pharmacy school.

Honestly, it's not hard to get into pharmacy school these days. Apply to established schools and one of them will take you in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is great that you have your bachelors, now you just have to complete your pre-reqs. I think that you for sure have a shot. I had a few people in my classes at my community college that had finished their bachelors and were returning to school so the could apply to pharm and dental schools, all accepted. If you have a community college I would recommend that you take your pre-reqs there as you will save money and that the classes are small enough so that there is help readily available if you need. Your experience will be a huge plus, most applying have little to none and this is something that will set you apart. Anyways, talk to you later Dr. Liz RPH haha

It is great that you have your bachelors, now you just have to complete your pre-reqs. I think that you for sure have a shot. I had a few people in my classes at my community college that had finished their bachelors and were returning to school so the could apply to pharm and dental schools, all accepted. If you have a community college I would recommend that you take your pre-reqs there as you will save money and that the classes are small enough so that there is help readily available if you need. Your experience will be a huge plus, most applying have little to none and this is something that will set you apart. Anyways, talk to you later Dr. Liz RPH haha

Haha! Thanks for the encouragement. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about pharmacy school in regards to cost, work volume.. etc. Its something I have a lot of interest in and luckily they're building a brand new pharmacy school in my town that will be up in 2017 which gives me time to do my pre reqs. I'm crossing my fingers!

I'm currently considered a Junior at my local university, My major was English Lit. I haven't attended school since 2011 my GPA was at a 3.2. I moved to another state for personal reasons. I foolishly didn't drop my classes and ended up failing that semester. To say the least I completely tanked four classes, two being pre pharmacy requisites, consequently my GPA is now really low. I picked up a pharmacy job at a grocery store in 2012 and have now been a pharmacy technician for about 3 yrs. I moved back to my original state and now work at a state psychiatric hospital pharmacy. I've done a lot of growing up and I would LOVE to do pre pharmacy but do I have any kind of a chance at pharmacy school after failing those classes?

It's okay, a lot of people have had much worse situations and still went to pharmacy school. If you are passionate about pharmacy and absolutely love it then go for it. Also, I suggest you take a few classes at county college- its easier and MUCH cheaper. Good luck and you can do it.

It's okay, a lot of people have had much worse situations and still went to pharmacy school. If you are passionate about pharmacy and absolutely love it then go for it. Also, I suggest you take a few classes at county college- its easier and MUCH cheaper. Good luck and you can do it.
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I've taken classes at the community college and I totally agree :)

Reactions: 1 user
your story sounds really similar to mine. because of how badly I messed up in my undergrad years I was on the fence about whether or not I should even bother applying to schools. but I recently took the pcat and am just hoping for the best. best of luck!