should i even fill out the secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnthestreak

master of disaster
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay here's my story-
i submitted my primary on 8/10 but it didn't even start getting processed until they got my transcripts which finally arrived 8/27 thanks to the ******ed one armed monkeys that work at my home community college where i took some summer school classes. so anyway on my primary i said that i want to apply to like 8 schools but the more i think about it i'm not sure that i really want to apply to some of them. and i really don't want to fill out secondaries and pay some school that i'm not sure that i even want to go to. what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Get organized and apply.

get organized? who ARE you? you're telling me to get organized, how am i not?

Members don't see this ad :)
whoa, cool down.

Hello there,

I think what Amra meant was, when you get your secondaries, get THEM organized and then apply (once you get one, you get them all and then they are everywhere and lots of papers to boot... it can get ugly fast). You still have plenty of time to apply and be competitive (if that's what you're worried about).

Once you've finished the first secondary, the rest just follow (most questions are similar so you don't end up writing too many "new" essays). The secondaries are kind of a pain, but if you want to go to the school, then it's got to be done.

Also, if you're not sure whether you want to apply then you should think about it (not that I'm telling you anything that you don't already know). Because when you interview, you'll need to sell yourself and seem like you sincerely are interested in 1. osteopathic medicine and 2. whatever school you're interviewing at. If you are just going through the motions it will probably show. If you are interested in medicine and know deep down that you want to become a doctor, then I would advise you to go for it, apply and see what happens.

If you do some soul searching and still aren't sure, try talking to your friends and family and a career counselor to try to get you on the right track. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

Okay, sorry, john, I just reread your post, you obviously DO want to apply, just maybe not to all of the schools. My advice would be to spend the "little" money on the secondaries and send them all back, and then, once you start interviewing, to decline the invitations if you decide you wouldn't want to go to a school because of location, etc... that way you're not sending the "big" bucks interviewing, but you're keeping your options open for the short term. Please just disregard the last part of my last post about soul searching (I just got up so I'm not fully awake yet). Best of luck to you! :D