Should I even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

te3aa46

Reaction score
I had 2.7 cumulative GPA in undergrad, DIY postbac 46 credits got 4.0 GPA. I have institutional action from undergrad (academic misconduct suspension noted my undergrad transcript) should I even try to get MD from the united states?

Members don't see this ad.

There's really not enough information for us to make an informed call. Tell us more about your circumstances.
In what aspect should I describe my circumstance? To describe the transcript notation I got one semester suspension 2 and a half years ago from a mistake while taking an online psychology exam, I don't know how to get rid of that from my transcript. (In undergrad I had documented mental issues, also didn't speak English well since I just came from Iraq at that time. I just say this, I know it doesn't excuse myself).

After graduating I took prereqs I didn't take yet including Physics 2 and Organic Chemistry 2 along with other science classes at local 4 year university, got A in all 46 credits I took.

Now I really don't know what to do, I'm thinking my mistake ruined my life, so I'm thinking I should go to another country to get MD. I am very upset with myself, I am very set on my goal but I just feel like my chances are forever lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your cGPA and sGPA including your 46 credit postbac ? What is your MCAT score ? Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteer or employment hours with patient contact ? Where is your state of residence ? Are you a US citizen or permanent resident ?

Reactions: 1 users
What is your cGPA and sGPA including your 46 credit postbac ? What is your MCAT score ? Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteer or employment hours with patient contact ? Where is your state of residence ? Are you a US citizen or permanent resident ?
My cGPA is 3.1, sGPA is around 2.8. I haven't taken MCAT as I don't know if I would have any chance at school in United States. I do have physician shadowing around 200 hours, clinical hours around 180 hours. I have residence in Ohio, I am US citizen now.

You could receive interviews at DO schools. However, you need to take enough additional undergraduate science courses at a local college in order to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you will be screened out at many schools. You also need to score at least 500 on the MCAT. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently 505 or higher. This will all take another 2 years. By that time your institutional action will be 4 years old so it will be further in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at DO schools. However, you need to take enough additional undergraduate science courses at a local college in order to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you will be screened out at many schools. You also need to score at least 500 on the MCAT. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently 505 or higher. This will all take another 2 years. By that time your institutional action will be 4 years old so it will be further in the past.
That makes sense, I will take more science courses and I will start studying for MCAT. I know it will be many more years before I am admitted but I won't give up. Thank you so much for giving me hope I really needed this as I am going through a tough time, I really thank you.

What was the mistake from the online course that resulted in the IA?
The course is in person, the exam was online, I started the exam by myself when it got posted online (when I should have waited to take it in class), teacher found out and reported it, I admitted to my mistake when they asked me.

Reactions: 1 user
I should increase my sGPA before applying to DO schools? Idea of MD school is out of the picture for me? Just wondering, thank you.

I should increase my sGPA before applying to DO schools? Idea of MD school is out of the picture for me? Just wondering, thank you.
MD schools would be unlikely with a sGPA of 3.0 . You would need a MCAT of 515 or higher so it is possible if you do very well on the MCAT.

Complete the template: *~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*

That said, an undergrad science GPA under 3.0 pretty much rules you out of MD schools without some sort of significant reinvention (read Goro's guide). No MCAT means we have no clue if you would be in play for DO programs (Faha's advice being relevant here).

You have also sidestepped detail on your IA.
That makes sense, do they care more about sGPA then cGPA? Because my sGPA has been so hard to bring up, I would need to take much more postbac to bring my sGPA, should I just take more DIY postbac?

That makes sense, do they care more about sGPA then cGPA? Because my sGPA has been so hard to bring up, I would need to take much more postbac to bring my sGPA, should I just take more DIY postbac?
Given the variability of majors and academic interests in the applicant pool, some schools will weigh the sGPA to compare applicants on a more level playing field.

Given the variability of majors and academic interests in the applicant pool, some schools will weigh the sGPA to compare applicants on a more level playing field.
Do you think it would be okay for me to take some science courses for my DIY postbac at community college as it's cheaper for me now? I have taken postbac classes at 4 year and got 4.0 but the price is very expensive, what's your opinion if I take some at community college to offset the price?

Do you think it would be okay for me to take some science courses for my DIY postbac at community college as it's cheaper for me now? I have taken postbac classes at 4 year and got 4.0 but the price is very expensive, what's your opinion if I take some at community college to offset the price?
You may want to check with admissions staff at the closest medical schools to your location about their history with community college classes from the school you are thinking of.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile