Should I explain C-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zaneee20000

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a handful of Bs, one C+ in gen chem 2 and a C- in orgo 2. My overall gpa is a 3.8 and my science gpa is a 3.72. Should I explain the C- in my secondary essays because it's not considered a passing grade? I plan to retake it in my gap year, but dont really want to tell the school that because it draws attention to the bad grade.

However, will some schools just screen my application out if I dont meet their prereqs (of having atleast a C) and don't mention that I'm retaking? I will most likely take the course spring semester at a local college, so it's not listed on my amcas transcript of upcoming classes.
 
A C- in Orgo 2 can matter for some schools since a few require a C or better in prereqs. I’d focus more on making sure you’re retaking it and meeting that requirement rather than explaining it in detail. Most secondaries don’t need an explanation for a single course unless they specifically ask for academic issues or context. Some schools may screen or hold the app if prereqs aren’t satisfied yet, so having the retake planned or in progress is usually the important part.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sure your calculated your application GPA correctly? Can your show your work? I'm skeptical a 3.72 sGPA can include "a handful of B's" and 2 C's. I just want to make sure you aren't in a program that gives 4.3 for A-plus grades.

Yes, I would retake the C-minus, but i would be very specific with what you are going to do differently to get an A on Organic chemistry 2. All grades count.
 
Are you sure your calculated your application GPA correctly? Can your show your work? I'm skeptical a 3.72 sGPA can include "a handful of B's" and 2 C's. I just want to make sure you aren't in a program that gives 4.3 for A-plus grades.

Yes, I would retake the C-minus, but i would be very specific with what you are going to do differently to get an A on Organic chemistry 2. All grades count.
I could've graduated a year early, but I took all science courses my senior year to boost my GPA (got all As)
 
I could've graduated a year early, but I took all science courses my senior year to boost my GPA (got all As)
I still don't understand. Your oGPA claims to be 3.8, but your science GPA was 3.72. What about the handful of B's? I presume you have at least 4 B's and 2 C's. Also, if you want to claim an upward trend, what are your year-by-year GPA's, considering you have only 3 years to report?
 
Last edited: