should i give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent steve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just caculated o.gpa by myself and ended up w/ 2.68..s-gpa w/2.45

here is my overall stats.

2001-2004 previous school (dismissed) : Gpa of 1.88 about 90 credits.

2008 fall transferred to C.C : 12 credit : 4.0

transffered to 4 year again
2009 spring - now : 58 credit all upper bio+ chem : 4.0(graduating 10' fall)

even if I get 21+ of dat... I guess my o.gpa is killing me.

even if I go for grad.school, it won't raise up gpa...

should I give up applying to dental school....?

or should I at least apply?

Members don't see this ad.

You're forgetting one thing...the beauty of "upward trends." Schools do notice when you show an upward trend, and it seems like you made 4.0 in your last two years of undergrad...don't forget that. If you rock the DAT, do a post-bacc, and can raise your gpa to about 2.8+, you may still have a shot.

You might want to do postbac AND a master to have any chance. Saying both since you probably will not get into a masters program with that gpa. 2.68 and 2.45 after 160 credit hrs is way too low. You will need to bring that up to around 3.0 for the initial review imo. Then, b/c you show good trend you might have a shot. But not looking good as of now.
good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... i guess it is wasting money to apply for 2011 cycle with only BA degree..

So... i guess it is wasting money to apply for 2011 cycle with only BA degree..

unfortunately, yes. they won't even take a second look to see if there's an upward trend in there. but you might as well go and take your DAT and rock it, and if you do a one-year post bacc or something your score will still be good

Here is the best advice your going to hear:

DO NOT MAKE A DECISION TODAY before speaking to dental schools first. you have 54 credits of heavy upper level sciences that are no joke with a straight 4.0 run..... This speaks volumes about how much you've matured. I believe many dental schools really like to see strong upward trends and you my friend have that.

You still have some time before the application cycle starts up. Call up some dental schools, esspecially the ones you like, and tell them your whole story. You can even try to set up actual person-to-person meetings with thier advisors and see what they tell you.

There is a strong chance that if you just do well on the DAT (20 to 22AA) that it will be enough, no masters, no further post-bacc. Don't make any decision today until you speak to dental schools first, you have a shot in my opinion

I was offered to join grad school after graduation..but "Aging" is another problem!
however, I really appreciate your advice... I thought my dream was gone since I found out overall gpa.. yes.. I will call up some dental schools... and figure it out.
Thank you again..

Keep us posted, let us know what happens with you.

"no retreat; no surrender" that's that attitude that got me into UPENN, Columbia and Harvard with a 2.9 science GPA and a 20 DAT score.

"no retreat; no surrender" that's that attitude that got me into UPENN, Columbia and Harvard with a 2.9 science GPA and a 20 DAT score.

wow... are you serious? Harvard? Columbia?
What did you do? Did you pull a "Tony Soprano" on them

doing a post-bac..probably raise up my gpa little bit...but then I will have 180 credits??? doesn't it look bad?
Also, I only had 5 classes of bio(lower level and repeated) and gen chem(repeated) from 1st school... thats why I didn't have to take gen-ed since transferred.
If I go for post-bac, do I need to re-take the courses that I have already taken??

doing a post-bac..probably raise up my gpa little bit...but then I will have 180 credits??? doesn't it look bad?
Also, I only had 5 classes of bio(lower level and repeated) and gen chem(repeated) from 1st school... thats why I didn't have to take gen-ed since transferred.
If I go for post-bac, do I need to re-take the courses that I have already taken??

No, do post-bacc on new sciences that You've never taken before. I am sure there are a few more like Biochemistry I & II, Physiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Genetics, Histology, Anatomy, Cell Biology, Immunology, etc etc

"no retreat; no surrender"

While I didn't get in to Ivy League schools, the same philosophy got me in to dental school and I was able to choose from Creighton, Marquette, and Oklahoma.

I am looking for some private schools to ask my situation!

I only know such as NYU, colombia, Penn... does anyone can give me some ideas??